Thread: Trip to Costa Rica

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trip to Costa Rica

I recently was lucky enough to go to Costa Rica. It was a great trip and not to sound like a representative of the Costa Rican tourism board too much, but if you get the chance, I'd recommend it. Just be prepared for crazy drivers and bad roads. Everything else is great.

The photography opportunities are excellent as there are volcanos, mountains, ocean and plenty of diverse wildlife. All of this is pretty accessible as they have several national parks, biological preserves, and wildlife refuges....ok...now I really probably am sounding like I work for the tourism board....sorry....it was a great trip.

Most of the pictures were taken near Arenal Volcano, Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge, Manuel Antonio National Park or Carara National Park.

If interested, there is now a set in Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayaker...7629354601548/

I've already posted a few photos in different threads, but here are a few of my favorites from the trip:

From a bar/restuarant at Villa Caletas near Jaco. Used a 3 stop reverse ND filter

Small-4267 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I am still working on which bird this is. Taken in Carara National Park

Small-4057 by kayaker72, on Flickr

King Fisher in Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge

Small-2339 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Scarlet Macaw in flight near Carara National Park

Small-3857 by kayaker72, on Flickr

On a hike near Arenal Volcano:

Small-2025 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing....Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 04-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Costa Rica that wasn't excellent. Yours included. Really nice set. Might have to add that place to my "must see" list.
    Mark - Flickr

Thanks Mark......It turns out I had been wanting to go to Costa Rica for 12 years (first guide book I bought was 1999). I finally convinced my wife (apparently I am very persuasive). We both really enjoyed ourselves and are talking about going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Thanks Mark......It turns out I had been wanting to go to Costa Rica for 12 years (first guide book I bought was 1999). I finally convinced my wife (apparently I am very persuasive)...
    Evidently you are not that persuasive... it took 12 years to convince her or it took you 12 years to convince yourself. Either way, I do not think you are going to become the poster child for persuasion.

Seriously though, great shots. It is hard to get close to a Kingfisher around here, but you got real close to a lot of real colorful birds. Nice sunset, and I really like the sun burst through the tree canapy.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Really nice bird shots ...love the BIF! Also, the first photo is truly breathtaking! The 3-stop reverse ND really worked well for it!

Thanks Pat....

...hmmm....maybe not the poster child for persuasion ....but maybe persistance.....

Good for you Brant, that place looks like utopia for photogs, that Macaw is beautiful and a lot of skill to nail the shot.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur