(Disclaimer: I'm not much of a macro shooter.)

As mentioned in another thread, we're heading on an Alaska cruise in August, and I'm planning out what gear to take. I hate the thought of leaving something behind that could have been useful, so my mind drifted to the idea of taking our Profoto B1 (TTL, battery-powered) studio light along for possibly some formal portraits aboard the ship. We've booked a private photo adventure in Haines (4 hours with a photographer/guide just for us) and I'm sure there'll be some macro shooting for my wife. Would the B1 be useful for macro shooting at all? I could easily take a 10-degree grid and/or a 1x3 softbox; if worthwhile I could take a "Zoom Reflector", and I might pick up a 5' octabox. It makes a beautiful, consistent light, and has a very wide power range so I'm not too worried about it being too bright compared to a flash.

I don't mind taking the light if it might get some use. However, if you folks convince me that it's ridiculous, I'll either leave it in the cabin for that excursion or leave it home altogether. Any thoughts?