Thread: Canon R5 Mark II is announced

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon R5 Mark II is announced

Still early and learning about the newly released camera, but here is the link to Bryan's news feed and landing page.

A few items catching my eye:
    1. Pre-shooting mode, 1/2 of a second
    2. 14 bit, up to 30 fps, 6.3 milli-second (~1/160th of a sec) readout speed in electronic shutter. FPS is now programmable. Big thumbs up from me on that one.
    3. Great that it is mostly the same very good button layout. A few small changes...I like video/stills switch location
    4. About the same size, slightly lighter (68 g) than R5.
    5. Claims about upgraded AF system
    6. New battery that provides better "higher continuous power". I am hoping this means that the mechanical fps does not drop off as the battery charge goes down.
    7. R3's EVF, or something very similar. Eye-controlled AF. Initial impressions seem good.

There are many other features that might appeal to others. Seems like there are overheating improvements, including a cooling-grip. 8K video has improved. Etc. For video, I am seeing it has waveforms, which I hear videographers complain about not having, so that is good.

Then, a lot is the same: 12 fps mechanical shutter, ~45 MPs, general size, button layout, and ergonomics. But, hey, if it ain't broke.....

Actually, that is a big deal to me, as if I went to two cameras for some event, I could have a R5 I and II and likely not lose much in terms of muscle memory switching between cameras.

The R5 is an amazing camera. I am not sure I need more. I have pre-ordered the R5 II, but I will wait to see/read more to see if I keep the pre-order.

I did notice that the new R5's are now ~$2900. A great price, IMO.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; Today at 12:34 PM.