Page 326 of 558 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336376426 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    The fourth shot is by far my favorite. The fifth is a nice composition. All of these shots seem to be in challenging light conditions, and the kingfisher?? isn't sharp. But in that fourth shot, you've captured some intense direct light right on the bird's face, and it is striking. Nice job! Contrast that one to the black bird with the bright background, where the bird has little detail.

A better Beamer flash accessory can help eliminate harsh shadows in some challenging light situations. http://www.amazon.com/X-Tender-Bette.../dp/B000SLNNG4

Did you have to crop in much?
    Thanks for the feedback. I had to crop 3 of them pretty significantly. The black bird against the bright background and the last pic with the nice composition were not cropped very much. The others had to be because I was pretty far away and it was the closest I could get with my 200mm focal length. Sharpness was affected on these heavier crops. I have heard some good things about the better Beamer. I found some knock offs on eBay and wondered if they would do the same job. Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150675949396?...#ht_4754wt_949

Size and functionality look to be comparable. Have you heard or read any feedback on sticking with the brand name vs going generic?

I don't have any experience with better beamer knock offs. Sorry. But its concept is pretty simple, and I imagine that it's not too hard to replicate the flash amplification of the gadget.

@ Steve - Those shots are super sharp (especially the first one) and if I had backyard birds that were as beautiful as your Lorikeets, I would definitely be doing alot more shooting and posting! I could never grow tired from looking at them!!

White Ibis portrait (Ft. DeSoto Florida)
    1D MKIV
    700mm
    Hand held
    ISO 400
    f/6.3
    1/2000

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AM8B9918.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	1209

Steve, Where do you live in the Galapagos Islands? Very Nice shots!

Joel, I love the exposure and composition of the Ibis. The red beak, white feathers, and blue eye, are very appropriate for the 4th of July!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post

I have heard some good things about the better Beamer. I found some knock offs on eBay and wondered if they would do the same job. Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150675949396?...#ht_4754wt_949

Size and functionality look to be comparable. Have you heard or read any feedback on sticking with the brand name vs going generic?
    That's not a better beamer knock-off above. That's a reflector, or bendable bounce card for the flash. All that does is redirect the flash, by bouncing it off of the card and then sends the flash output in a different direction.

The Better Beamer is a flash extender, which is similar to a fresnel lens (in a Lighthouse) which magnifies and projects light farther distances. It focuses and concentrates the output of the flash into a narrow beam via the fresnel panel that is positioned in front of the flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427602-REG/Visual_Echoes_FX3_FX3_Better_Beamer_for.html

I hope that helps,
    Rich

Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-02-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Steve, Where do you live in the Galapagos Islands? Very Nice shots!
    Heh heh, funny.
    Going to the mountains this weekend, hopefully get some more.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Joel, I love the exposure and composition of the Ibis. The red beak, white feathers, and blue eye, are very appropriate for the 4th of July!

Rich
    Thanks! I hadn't considered it to be so patriotic but I think you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    I have heard some good things about the better Beamer. I found some knock offs on eBay and wondered if they would do the same job.
    As already mentioned the Better Beamer is a fresnel lens (not a reflector) attached to a bracket that places it about 6 inches in front of your flash.

It is one of the most functional, inexpensive accessories you could own if you need to or like to use flash for wildlife photography.

It costs so little compared to most photography gadgets I can't really understand shopping for a "knock off"