Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amber in the Basement & Car Photo

Amber in the Basement & Car Photo

A couple of shots I've taken recently.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_5850-copy-small.jpg[/img]

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right (in room behind subject), 1/16 power, bare, with a full CTB gel. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left high and pointed downward, 1/4 power, shot using a 15 degree SaxonPC grid in foam housing and a full CTO gel. Triggered via Cybersyncs.

The following shot wasn't exactly planned. The owner wanted me to take a shot of his automobile sometime in the future, but wanted me to see the car first. When we met, I decided to throw up some lightstands, screw on a polarizer, and see what we could get right then and there. The backdrop is certainly not ideal for the portrait, but I was proud of how well the car looked under the strobes that I decided to post the test shot to flickr anyway. Eventually the owner wants me to do a couple more sessions with the automobile. He's hoping to have it published in a calendar next year.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_5883_5F00_heal-copy-small.jpg[/img]

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right, full power, pointed at the back of the car. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right, full power, pointed at the front panel. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right, ground level, 1/2 power, pointed at the wheel. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left, full power, pointed at the hood. Flashes triggerd via Cybersyncs. A B&W circular polarizer was used.

Re: Amber in the Basement & Car Photo

Great pictures Sean! The car is really cool [H]

Yeah, my only regret is that we weren't in a better location. I'm going to scout around town and see what I can find for the next outdoor shoot we do. However, I think the very next shoot I do with this car will be in large warehouse or garage. Should be interesting.

... find a nice background and some decent lighting.

Regarding the lighting - I count on you, you obviously know better than I do about this topic.

ohhh a parking garage near a city with open places in the wall so you can see the city lights might look cool. (If that is understandable haha)

I'm pretty sure I saw these on flickr. I like 'em

Can't wait to get my strobist setup!

-Rodger

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-family: Verdana;"]Sean

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Mate, love the car (never seen one of those in Australia) but the first photo does it for me, very nice. Your use of lighting and setting the shot really tells a story, well done.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Scott<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]<o></o>

Thanks guys. You know, I was quite surprised at the amount of views that picture of Amber in the basement has received on Flickr. It's not one of my normal, bright, sun-shiny pictures. I'm not sure it's the kind of portrait that people pay for, but it's a nice look to have in the bag of tricks. I like the starkness and contrast in cool/warm tones as well as the apparant isolation of the subject.

The car picture turned out much better than I had anticipated. The owner has put about 2 years of work into the car, and it really shows. I think the car has more coats of paint than I have fingers and toes. right now it's on the market for $60,000 USD. Let me know if you want to have it shipped down under, Scott. ;-)

Cheers Sean I'll keep an eye out for it, (cheques' in the mail) don't know how it will go on the dirt roads and cattle grids but I'm sure we can do something. (might have to get a bull bar for it too, lots of roos out here)[:P] Love your work

I think that picture of Amber is one of your better shots. There's a lot of implied context, and a lot of questions. Mildly disturbing, but intriguing. It whispers the question, "What's going on here?"

Like the car picture. How did you arrive at that lighting arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

I think that picture of Amber is one of your better shots. There's a lot of implied context, and a lot of questions. Mildly disturbing, but intriguing. It whispers the question, "What's going on here?"

Like the car picture. How did you arrive at that lighting arrangement?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Actually, I talked to my friend who does alot of automobile shoots. He guided me as to the basic setup he uses, and I tweaked from there.