Thread: Rain protection

Rain protection

Does anyone have any suggestions for re-usable rain coats/ rain covers for your camera and perhaps for yourself?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Hi Steve

This large Zip-Loc bag worked well, it has been on 3 trips and still doesn't need to be replaced. Total cost 10 cents.

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

That almost looks home made, good value at 10 cents.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for re-usable rain coats/ rain covers for your camera and perhaps for yourself?
    I find that putting baggies on myself doesn't work well. However, the factory tells me that I'm well-sealed and can simply be dried off with a rag or hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I use an old military rain poncho---this works well if your camera is on a tripod and you dont mind being under the poncho with the camera.---probably cost 5 or 10 bucks at your local army/navy store.
    Bob

For the camera I use a Promaster Rain Jacket. It is a nylon jacket with a clear window (soft flexible clear window, not hard plastic that will crack), two holes for your hands, and a double zipper on the bottom so you can open for your tripod mount. It seems to work good and it cost me less than $20 (U.S.)... which sure beats Canons version at $119. I saw some current adds at $19.99. Seems pretty sturdy and thick materials for that money (nothing cheap about it). It also has draw strings for the lens and your hands. You can see it in use at the attached link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJ9Ajg6HkY

The other thing I think a lot of people miss is the need to protect from condensation when coming in from the cold. In the winter and cold mornings of fall and spring the camera gets very cold, and then you bring it into warm vehicle/house and all the mosture condenses on/in the camera or lens. A couple of things you should do:
    • I try to stick with a seal lens with a filter attached if at all possible.
    • With my 100-400mm L push/pull zoom (or any external zoom) I make sure I do not move the zoom in or out when it is cold and you are in a warmer area that could pull moist air into it - once that air is drawn in, then all the moisture will condense out inside the lens.
    • I keep a plastic garbage bag rolled up tight in my bag. Before my camera and lens goes into the truck, I open the bag outside where the humidity is next to nothing. Then the camera and lens goes in the bag, and it is wrapped tight around the camera and lens to get as much air out as possible. Now let it come to room temperature before opening, or open it outside when you get to your next location. When you are done with the plastic bag, then fold and roll it up to remove any air so you can use it again (and it takes very little space in your camera bag).

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

@conropl People often only consider condensation with cold outside coming into the warm. However, where I live (Florida) the problem is opposite. The AC cools off the lens so that the minute you step outside your camera lens (or camera, or glasses) will fog. My solution to this problem is storing my camera gear where it's warmer than the rest of the house - like on top of the refrigerator or in the computer cabinet. That way when I walk outside the camera gear is as warm or warmer than the ambient and there's no condensation.