Thread: New 100-400 on the way?

New 100-400 on the way?

Anyone heard that rumor? Its due an upgrade im told. I only ask as i went out shooting birds, camera not gun, and have a gap in my lens range in the 300 to 400 range. Ive drooled over the 300 2.8 but maybe the 100-400 would suit. But, im hooked on primes but could be pursuaded if its good.

Mick

Re: New 100-400 on the way?

If it's due an upgrade, so is the ________.

When Canon is ready to upgrade it, we'll find out here. Until then, nobody knows.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I would doubt the rumor at this point. Buy whatever lens you desire, don't hold out in hopes of something bigger and better. Who knows what you'll miss in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
    Buy whatever lens you desire, don't hold out in hopes of something bigger and better. Who knows what you'll miss in the meantime.

AMEN!

If it is within your budget -- and you will use it -- go for it. The best equipment is that which you currently hold. You will miss a lot of images waiting for something better.

Chris

Canon lenses hold their value pretty well so its not a big deal when something comes out a little later. But if you would like to wait July and September are probably announcement times.

I love the 300 2.8 too, but I will tell you that @ 300mm, the DoF at f/2.8 is too little for many (most??) bird shots. I find f/4 to be too shallow, and use f/5.0-f/9 using my 300 f/4. The pros buy the 300 2.8 over the 300 f/4 because it's sharper and weather sealed and (as far as I know) don't use f/2.8 as much! For sports, it's a different story, buy the f/2.8.