Hello,

This is a follow up to an earlier inquiry as I amcoming acrossconflicting professional advice.

I will be taking candid shots at aplayers party in addition to occassionalgroup/individual posedshots in front of amuslinbackdrop.An area will be dedicated for the posed shots where I can set up softboxes/muslin, etc.

I will have to buy someequipment but my budget is low so need to keep it simple.

Anyhow,my initial thought was to buya continous light softbox butruled that out for insteadasoftbox utilizing a second speedlight.Ithen wanted to use my 550ex speedlight(on camera)with stofen filter as fill light.

Most pros seemdogmatic about getting the flash off camera whereas a few seem ok with leaving it on camera and maybe desirous with group shots in avoiding shadows.It will at most be groups of 10 intwo rows. The latter wasmy thoughts as wellbut still most seem dogmatic in gettingit off.I amtrying to improvemy flash usage but neverhad any turn out poorly utilizing a goodexternal flash mounted on camera and have seen some absolutely beautiful shots with such. Is this simply proswith a"stuck-in-the-rut"mentality who are unwilling to venture good shots can be had utilizing a flashon the camera?

I plan on buyinganother 550ex speedlight ora Yongnuo YN-460or 468, depending on setup and budget.

1) I can buy two 24 x 24 softboxes withstands andanother550ex with this setup. Icould remove my550oncamera and mount itto thesecond softbox as needed for the still shots. This setupis not themost desirable due to fluid situation with candids and concern of crossshadows?Also, would these cast adequatelight ongroups of ten or smaller?I can adjust camera forambient lighting so don't factor that.

2)I couldbuy one large 24 x 36 softbox, a Yongnuo flash anda stand. Then leave my 550 ex on camera with stofen filterto provide fill light.

Are either of these situation viable?

Thanks, Ralph