Thread: Crop Sensor Gear Getting Cheaper?

Crop Sensor Gear Getting Cheaper?

I was surprised to see just how much less expensive crop sensor equipment is than it used to be:

Canon 17-55 -- $779
    Canon 10-22 -- $529
    Canon 60 Macro -- $395

I thought these lenses before were ~ $1100 and ~ $800? (17-55, 10-22).

That's a pretty serious drop and on the used market the 17-55 can be found for less than $600 now.

Who'd have thought a year ago that you could get a top of the EF-S line lens outfit for $1,703 brand new to cover ultra wide, normal, and macro? Has nearly everyone here made the 35mm FF jump now or are many shooting crop cameras?

Plus the 70D looks like a really good camera as well. The 200mm crops on the site are showing it to be reasonably competitive with 35mm FF and decisively better than 60D and 7D.

I still have my 60D and have been wrestling with what to sell. I was going to get rid of the 60 macro, but am getting cold feet.

35mm FF definitely has awesome image quality, but it costs to get there.

Dave

It isn't just crop sensor gear. Look at the price drops for the 24-105, the 24mm TS-E 3.5L, the 100L macro, the 70-200 f2.8 IS II, and the 6D. All can be had for hundreds less than just a few months ago.
    Mark - Flickr

I'd say that Canon's finally reacting to the more serious competition from the likes of Sonikon; Pentax and the µ4/3 crowd aren't doing too badly either. (either that, or they're dropping the hell out of their crop stuff to be lower than their FF stuff which is also coming down)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    It isn't just crop sensor gear. Look at the price drops for the 24-105, the 24mm TS-E 3.5L, the 100L macro, the 70-200 f2.8 IS II, and the 6D. All can be had for hundreds less than just a few months ago.
    Mark,

It may be true, but the 24 TS-E and 70-200 f/2.8 II are much more expensive than my radar. I believe the 6D price drop was expected. The 100 macro price difference looks to be just part of the mail in rebate program although I've seen it through e-bay parties for much less lately, but personally would not consider buying such an expensive lens from them.

The crop price differences noted appear to be permanent.

Dave

The economy is in a slump, Canon dSLR sales dropped (were predicted to for this year, that is) for the first time in years. Price cuts spur sales. The 7D was $1500 not long ago, the 6D could be had for that price last week, from B&H.

Couple of thoughts.

1. Tech prices always fall - Glass I am a bit surprised, the 24-105 is clearly being heavily discounted.
    2. Erosion from the bottom up - the "dread" cell phone camera has all but cannibalized the basic P&S market,
    3. Sensors are getting better and when 99.9% of photos are shared on the web it is arguable how much "value" is there in the next increment in image capture.
    4. Smaller sensors were 1st do to manufacturing issues, perhaps now they are coming back because of image quality that is "good enough," Light gathering etc is being addressed as I have seen recent "Noctagons" for 4/3 being developed and/or speed boosting adapters. Again, 99.9% of the images being for the web/small screen vs. giant wall sized enlargements. (I will stipulated that larger photosites are better photosites)

It isn't any one thing, rather a broad erosion on several fronts. I still think it is a wonderful time to be interested in image capture, etc. as a consumer. Trying to be a manufacturer is something too complex and dynamic for my participation.

A bit off topic, but imagine a super functional little body/sensor w/ a likewise lens wirelessly connected to your google glass "EVF." No more having to bring the camera to your eye kind of stuff. Oh such fun.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The economy is in a slump, Canon dSLR sales dropped (were predicted to for this year, that is) for the first time in years. Price cuts spur sales. The 7D was $1500 not long ago, the 6D could be had for that price last week, from B&H.
    I think we could blame the rise in prices a few years ago on an economic slump. The dollar lost strength against the Yen in 2011 and 2012. New lens prices jumped substantially. I don't think we could blame the prices dropping now on an economic slump in the US, it is the opposite the dollar is strong against the Yen.

I have been hoping prices would come back down because of the dollars strength, but it is far easier for a company to raise prices when the economy dictates. But once they have us buying at the higher prices the tend to not lower prices, why would they when they can make a windfall.

Camera sales are down and possibly they over built certain models. Perhaps some of the price drops are clearing the supply chain of excess. I would think they would decrease production and try and maintain prices at the levels that everyone will buy.

It would be nice to see some of the pricing come down on the high end gear. It probably will only happen with great reluctance because those who can afford this gear for the most part a slow economy does not leave them without money. They have us willing to pay the inflated prices.