Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Release Options for 7D

Shutter Release Options for 7D

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a shutter releaseswitch for my 7D. Of course, the cable shutter release that I had for my old T1i doesn't work with the 7D (and is available for sale if anyone is interested, just let me know).

Anyway, these are the 3 options I've been looking at and all 3 come with their mixed reviews ...

Canon - RS-80N3 Cable Remote Switch
    Satechi - WR-A100 Wireless Remote Switch
    SMDV - RFN3 (SM-610) Wireless & Cable Shutter Release

Any feedback on any of the 3 above greatly appreciated!

Denise

Re: Shutter Release Options for 7D

Did you consider the<span class="desc"] TC-80N3? I have it and love it. It allows for amazing flexibility and has a multitude of uses. It costs more, but is well worth it, IMO.

Braden

None of the above. Get the Canon RC-1 wireless shutter release. It works very well up to about 15ft, however, you have to have line-of-sight to the infrared sensor on the front of the camera.

If that won't suit your needs, someone else will have to suggest one of the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

None of the above. Get the Canon RC-1 wireless shutter release. It works very well up to about 15ft, however, you have to have line-of-sight to the infrared sensor on the front of the camera.

Hi Sean,

I do have the RC-1 already which works great but I was looking for something that will also work for when I am behind the camera just for reducing camera shake when releasing the shutter.

Thanks,
    Denise

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD

Did you consider the<span class="desc"] TC-80N3? I have it and love it. It allows for amazing flexibility and has a multitude of uses. It costs more, but is well worth it, IMO.

I will have to check it out. Thanks much!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I do have the RC-1 already which works great but I was looking for something that will also work for when I am behind the camera just for reducing camera shake when releasing the shutter

As normal, I'll suggest you buy Canon. For me it's usually that simple.

If you want to minimize camera shake, you need a solid tripod (which you have &ndash; does it vibrate when you touch the camera?)

I haven't had this sort of problem with the Gitzo I use...

Heck, I'm getting off topic. I'm sure any of these options will work fine; don't worry about it.

Good Luck!

brendan

Hi Brendan,

Canon of course is top dog but sometimes ...non-canon brands do come thru. Have you used Canon's shutter release? Any of the others?
    I am hoping to get feedback on pros &amp; cons of each.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

If you want to minimize camera shake, you need a solid tripod (which you have &ndash; does it vibrate when you touch the camera?)

Nope, I love my tripod but just pushing the shutter release can cause some vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Have you used Canon's shutter release? Any of the others?
    I am hoping to get feedback on pros &amp; cons of each.

I have Canon's, it works great. Honestly, it seems they're all the same.

Hi Denise,

If vibration reduction for standard tripod exposures (landscapes, etc.) is your goal, you can use your current RC-1. Enable mirror lockup and use the 2-second setting on the IR remote, then stick your hand in front of the camera to trigger it, removing your hand from the field of view during the 2 second delay. I like the Canon RS-80N3 for long tripod exposures (daytime with a 10-stop ND + CPL) - the RC-1 does support Bulb mode, but you must press once to start and again to stop, and even though logically I know that sticking my hand into the frame for part of a second during a 30+ second exposure won't show up, I'd know it had been there!).

If your goal is to pre-aim, then wait until something comes into the field of view then focus/shoot or just shoot, one of the three remotes seems like a good idea. The Canon RS-80N3 works just fine. The others offer wireless and thus longer-distance triggering, which if you need/want that would be nice - especially if you're shooting something skittish, where you want to set up the camera on the tripod then step out of sight to trigger it.

The Canon RS-80N3 behaves exactly like your on-camera shutter button, with a half-press for focus and full press for the shot. I can tell you that it also respects your customization settings (so for me, I use the AF-ON button for AF and the shutter button for metering only, so a half-press of the shutter button does nothing - that's true with theRS-80N3 as well, unless I change the custom function setting).The Satechi WR-A100 has separate buttons for focus and shot (maybe a nice feature). It's not immediately clear to me if the SDMV SM-610 supports the half-press or not, so I'd probably avoid that one.

I like Braden's recommendation of the TC-80N3 - I'd like to shoot some time-lapses down the line, and it also offers the same basic functionality as the RS-80N3. Personally, I wouldn't have spent $40-45 on the CanonRS-80N3 - if I hadn't run across one on Craigslist for $5, I'd have just kept on using the RC-1 with 2-sec mirror lockup, and put the $45 towards a TC-80N3 if I wanted a wired remote.

--John

I use theRS-80N3 and I am happy with it.The releaseis simple, fairly inexpensive, light and does notneed a battery.Occassionally I set my camera's driveto2-secondself-timermode and do not use my cable release.

BTW, when you shoot in live view mode, the mirror is already locked up and this option does not have to be enabled.