Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monopod question that I'm getting off craigslist

Monopod question that I'm getting off craigslist

For $25, I'm stopping after work and picking up a Bogen 3016 monopod. I can't seem to find much on it online, all I know is that it's aluminum. It's only $25 so I guess I can't go wrong unless someone tells me it's complete junk and I shouldn't waste the $. The ad says it's like new.

Will my Induro BHD2 ballhead work ok on a monopod or do you need to use a special monopod ballhead?

I was hoping to use this when I take my granddaughter to the zoo this weekend for halloween so I don't have time to order anything. I just ran across this monopod a few minutes ago and thought it would be better than bringing my tripod.

Opinions?

Denise

Re: Monopod question that I'm getting off craigslist

Did your ballhead come with a threaded fitting that would allow it to fit with a smaller sized screw? I know I had to use that little gadget when putting my ballhead on my tripod, so it

Hi Sean -

I won't have time to stop home and grab my ballhead before heading to get the monopod. To be honest, it's been so long that I bought it, I don't remember what it came with and it's been on my tripod since I bought it. I looked online and it has a Tripod Mount 3/8"-16 Thread size but came with a PU-60 slide -in quick release plate that has a has a 1/4"-20 thread.
    <dt>
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    However, don't schedule the meeting under any bridges...
    </dt>

I am not thrilled about going to this guys house out in the county ...in the dark all by myself! If you don't hear from me again, send out a search party!!

Denise

Well, I bought the monopod (and survived the trip) and my current ballhead does fit but now I

I bought a monopod and ball head when I first got my 100-400mm. I used it a few times but found it to be annoying and more bothersome adjusting it than not having it on at all. I used it maybe two times and ever since I just use the monopod attached directly to the lens. I have other heads now and am going to sell that one, but I paid 4x what you gave for the monopod for just that head.

Try it without for a bit and see if you really just have to have one.

I should probably do that. I

I did some reading on heads on another board after I posted that. It seemed somewhat divided with more people saying they wanted the heads. Many said if they had to get a head they would get one that just tilts up and down only and has a quick release. Which makes since because you do not need the pan function. Mine was a regular ball head that could go any direction. I didn't like having to adjust it and didn't mind tilting one way or the other. Other thing I didn't like was the added heavy weight.

When I screwed the lens directly on it was more secure and for me just worked better. I have the 500mm F4L now (as I have given my 100-400 to my brother) and there is no way I would want to put a ball head under it on the monopod. Its a bear to wrestle as it is.

Denise.....went thru the same exchange w/my mono, gorillapod and tripod for my 7D and 100-400. I solved the issue w/a Manfrotto 494RC2; small, rated for 8.8 lbs., smooth ballhead, relatively cheap, and easily transferred between the mono and gorillapod.

The gorillapod doesn

Thanks HDNitehawk &amp; Bill. I am looking at getting either the Manfrotto 494RC2 or the Benro DJ-80 Monopod Tilthead with Quick Release, Supports 8.8 lbs. I will take a better look at both when I

Hi Denise,

I would strongly vote against buying a ball head for a monopod. Asmentioned above, I find that ballheads are not needed, becuase you don't need to pan, because you could just turn the monopod with your hand. However, the problem with putting a ballhead on a monopod has to do with the great awkwardness and instability when it's time to loosen the ballhead knob and adjust it. It is very unstable when you are loosening the ballhead with one hand, holding the monopod with the other hand and holding the camera and lens with the other hand, if you get my drift. This is much less of a problem when you are only adjusting tilt and you can lean the lens against your shoulder.

If you don't have a ballhead or tilt head and you need to shoot downward for macro work, you can just lower the monopod height and tilt the monopod/camera downwards. If you need to shoot upwards then you can raise the height and tilt the monpod backwards. These are only temporary measures, however. If you would like the conveinance of tilt which is certainly a nice feature (especially with macro work or shooting BIF), then I would recommend a tilt monopod head instead of a ballhead.

Here are some examples:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554096-REG/Manfrotto_234_234_Swivel_Tilt_Monopod.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01-LR&amp;type=4&amp;eq=&amp;desc=Hi-Capacity-Monopod-Head-with-B2-AS-II

I would probably go with the first one for $23.99 as I don't particulary like the Manfrotto quick release and I feel that it just adds another layer of instability. I will also mention that I did own the Manfrotto quick release tilt version and I returned it, for the above reason. FWIW, I love the Arca Swiss quick release made by RRS.

I wouldalso like to addthat the RRS monopod head is absolutely a wonderfully crafted, and sturdy piece of equipment. It has no lateral flex, while the Monofrotto (due to it's design) has some lateral flexthat causes some instabilty issues especially with supertelephotos. However, it should be fine with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 100-400mm. The RRS has no flex in it and is very, very stable.

I do own the RRS Tilt Monopod head above, however it seems a bit overkill and costly to put that on an inexpensive Monopod.

Rich