Thread: 50D going crazy, 17-55 fail ... help please!!

50D going crazy, 17-55 fail ... help please!!

Hello TDP forum, this is my first post in here , i come here cause i know this is a place every canon user have seen and frequently visit. im honored to be a member and will stay active cause ive always wanted to sign in but always forgot to ^^' .

my problem (and i suspect of a lot of other people too >_&gt

my 50D , never felt comfortable with this camera and never will (love my old and scratched 350D), but forprofessional and practicalreasons i need it. that camera always had something weird , but now its just going freaking crazy

it says it always has the external flash attached >.> ... i think i know when my 580ex II is attached and im 150% sure its not attached.

if I enable live view the button wont work but after a while it goes into live view mode and theres no way i can turn the little bastard off with the button , only by disabling the damn feature... (this i know how it happened, i accidentally pressed the depth of field button while in live view, since then its like that...)

sometimes when taking sequential shoots at high speed, it makes some kind of long exposure shutter sound... this is even weirder cause the shot is the same as the other ones at high speed.

its only been a year since i bought it, and its been a fail after fail (starting with the horizontal lines crappy noise it has and the poor dynamic range )

is there a way to master reset the camera? like a real hardcore way that may downgrade the firmware and all, i've tried taking the 3v battery out, leaving the camera with no battery or lens attached for a whole day and reinstalling the latest firmware update...none worked...

also my 17-55mm f2.8 blades got stuck in f22 and i cant any take pictures with it. it first started failing and giving error 01, then it didnt want to shoot anything if not in f 2.8 then one day just didnt do anything at all...i think it may be related to the crazy camera thing and i know its not something i can repair myself (how much it cost to repair it? anyone with the smae problem?), i just want to know what happened to it and if i should stop using my lenses on that camera

Thanks!

Mario Adams

Re: 50D going crazy, 17-55 fail ... help please!!

Welcome Adams

Go to custom functions and reset all of them individually. If the camera continues to act up you need to send it in to Canon. The minimum cost at Canon Service Center is $180. Regarding your 17-55 f/2.8 stuck aperture blade, you can't do anything you need to send it in for sure, there's nothing much to do with a stuck aperture.

Good luck and please update with us

Those are some crazy problems you are having. I also have a 50D, 17-55, and 580exII and I have not had a single problem. Sounds like your best option is to send it in to Canon. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

First, welcome to TDP Mario,

I also have a 50D/17-55/580EX II and have never had a problem with any of them. I have shot 14,500 images to date, so it is deffinately broken in. I add and remove the 580 as needed/desired.

Has the camera been exposed to harsh elements? Neither the 50D or EF-S 17-55 IS USM are weather sealed.

It appears that both your camera and lens need to be sent to Canon for service. [:'(]

Sorry to hear,

Chris