Thread: How to avoid shadow from the hood on pictures?

How to avoid shadow from the hood on pictures?

Hi there,

I am back from holiday, I took my canon EOS 550D and EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens. I was in Tunis on holiday. Because the sun always shine there, I had all the time the hood on the lens. But when I took picture with the hood on with flash, I get strange shadows on my pictures. In my understanding the shadows are created by the hood on the lens

How can I avoid those shadows when I take pictures with flash, with the hood on the lens. My brother in law told me that the lens could be guilty. Can you guys help me with this? Tomorrow I will put heresome pictures.

Re: How to avoid shadow from the hood on pictures?

You need to either remove the hood, or get a hotshoe-mounted flash (e.g. a Speedlite 430EX II). The additional height of the external flash means no shadow from the hood. A good external flash also allows you to bounce the light off a ceiling/wall for a softer, more flattering light.

Re: How to avoid shadow from the hood on pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Friso

Hi there,

I am back from holiday, I took my canon EOS 550D and EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens. I was in Tunis on holiday. Because the sun always shine there, I had all the time the hood on the lens. But when I took picture with the hood on with flash, I get strange shadows on my pictures. In my understanding the shadows are created by the hood on the lens

How can I avoid those shadows when I take pictures with flash, with the hood on the lens. My brother in law told me that the lens could be guilty. Can you guys help me with this? Tomorrow I will put heresome pictures.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Were you using the built-in flash of the 550D? If so, a shoe-mounted flash would likely help. Otherwise, an even better solution would be to get the flash off the camera all together.