Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Kodak v2

RIP Kodak v2

OK, so they're not dead ... ... yet.
    But in March they discontinued the last of their Slide films, Ektachromes and Elite Chrome.
    Now they've just announced that they're discontinuing P3200 as well. I never even got around to shooting this one, it was only available in 135 so I went for Ilford Delta 3200 in 120-format instead.

So all they've got left of the good old stable is Tmax 100 & 400, and BW400CN. I hope they don't kill the 400CN, i've just started liking it a lot (in fact i've got a roll in the Spotmatic in my bag, and also a roll in my EOS 3, both pushed to 800 iso where it shines. Street Fun!)

Kodak's also exited the inkjet business, the digital camera business, I'm not sure about their printing-paper (I hope not, I don't like the colours I get out of the Fuji labs). So besides those last few films (which I doubt will still be here in 2 years), how is Kodak planning to make any money again?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I've never heard of Tmax or 400CN sensors. How many megapixels do they have?

Lol +1
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    i've never heard of tmax or 400cn sensors. How many megapixels do they have?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Last I heard, they were making money suing everyone that makes digital cameras, and maybe photo paper.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Last I heard, they were making money suing everyone that makes digital cameras, and maybe photo paper.
    Last I heard, Apple is doing it to them.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

About 10 or 15 years a go, a company starts to develop a digital sensor to fit in analogue cameras (seriously, not this fake). Sadly, they withdraw the project. I hope that someone else try it in the future.

Kodak was really big into selling chemicals for industry, too. They needed to make these for their own processes, then sold outside the company. Don't know if they're big sellers of chemicals now.

They still make the ultrasensitive autoradiography films we use, and also the liquid emulsion (same stuff hardened and layered in gelatin for films) that we dip radioactively labeled tissue sections into.

A past president of kodak digital camera lives across the street (park) from me, he was in charge when kodak "owned" the consumer digital business with the easyshare. He doesn't talk much the days after that......
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I remember when I learned the details of the Kodak PhotoCD. In exchange for giving Kodak royalties, you can store images on a CD in a special proprietary format that nobody uses. By using this special format, your images can no longer be used for anything, aside from viewing in their tediously annoying viewer application. Hooray!

I can't imaging why it never caught on, or why they're having such difficulties in the digital age.