Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I do have a nice series of images from the back yard that I will share on the forum soon.

Happy to hear that you are also impressed.
    Thanks Joel. Can't wait to see the backlog of pics.

I am impressed, and of course my impressions are still forming. But while the 1DX III was very obvious in what it was and what it did, the R5 is more subtle. For example, the 12 FPS is not much slower than 16 FPS, but the shutter is so quiet, there is no blackout after the initial image, there is little vibration, so, it does not feel like you are blazing away taking that many pictures. Subtle in little things like the shutter release is somehow the most responsive I have used in that if I quickly press and release it, even in H+ mode, I do only get one picture instead of 2-3. The ergonomics on the buttons is perhaps the most intuitive. The only issues I am having is getting used to the MFn button location (for some reason I keep hitting the video record) and I find the Menu button location awkward. Then, as you mentioned, it is nice having the histogram and level through the viewfinder as I am more quickly making my adjustments. I can say, I prefer the view through the OVF, but if using an EVF I might as well lean into its advantages.

Anyway, still getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    It is nice to see people are enjoying the new cameras. I wonder what the DSLR phase out period will be and when many people have changed to mirrorless? When will the new RF mount lenses become the new standard or will many people use their EF lenses?

Dave
    So, one option I was/am actively considering was just riding out my dSLR and EF lenses for another decade or so. As I am sure there will be photographers that select that option, I suspect we will see DSLRs in use for years. But, I also suspect the 1DX III may have been the last DSLR Canon releases. What has my attention is the utter lack of release of any other DSLR, even something lower end like a Rebel, in 2020. Granted, the T8i was released late 2019, but, when else has there been nothing...no releases of lower end DSLRs? Instead, we have the M50 II rumored to be released as Canon's only lower end body in 2020.

Canon is already on record that there will be no new EF lenses, although I am hoping that doesn't apply to EF-m as I want higher end lenses for my M6 II.

In short, I think we are perhaps already reaching the end of the phase out period in terms of new releases. Maybe we see a new Rebel, but I am thinking that is less likely. Instead, the rumors are all for new R mounts, an even higher MP body (~80-90 MP), and perhaps 2 less expensive bodies. I am curious what Canon will do with the <$800 entry level crowd, but perhaps that is what the M line is for. In terms of phase out of sales, maybe 2-3 more years?

As for RF lenses, that is another debate. The adapters are good and really do make this essentially seemless. I currently only have an adapter with a filter (and currently only have a CPL filter), but how nice would it be to only carry around one set of filters and not have to worry about screwing filters on or off? I am excited by this potential, but, of course, I lose it as soon as I go with RF lenses. But, on the RF side of things, it appears the extra buttons on the RF mount allow for extra communication for IBIS and in-lens stabilization giving RF lenses better stabilization than EF lenses, then I am seeing reports that RF lenses have slightly faster AF and that EF lenses occasionally freeze or hunt on R bodies. For me, two other considerations will be the fact that I still have an EF mount SLR and DSLR, so I need EF glass, and then potential resale value of the EF lenses. Is it still reasonable? Has it bottomed out? I haven't even looked yet.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Seeing some really impressive images here and will admit that the eye AF tracking and IBIS have me seriously considering an upgrade.

One thing that I am wondering about is the crop mode. Joel, what advantages are you finding with it? As I understand it, it is truly a crop. Why not just crop in post?

Is a larger subject simply helping with composition or is there something more substantive, like eliminating distractions for AF lock? I do suppose the file size is smaller.
    Those are good questions .... wish I had precise answers

I will have to see if cropping a full frame image in post is equivalent to shooting in crop mode, I have not tried it yet.

I would say that the eye tracking is definitely better with a larger subject in the frame and absolutely the file size is smaller. The files are similar in size to a 17 mp camera. (ie the original 1Dx was 18 mp)

Composition is improved as the field of view is equivalent to a lens with 1.6 X the focal length of the lens you are using. Thus my 600mm lens will provide a field of view similar to a lens of 960mm.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 10-07-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    It is nice to see people are enjoying the new cameras. I wonder what the DSLR phase out period will be and when many people have changed to mirrorless? When will the new RF mount lenses become the new standard or will many people use their EF lenses?

Dave
    As Brant wrote....no need to ditch EF lenses as they work great with the adapter. In the shorter focal lengths there are already some great RF choices.

For birders, in the future there may be great RF lenses to be had but right now in the super telephoto world EF rules.

There is a rumored 500mm f/2.8 in the works!

Hey Canon: I would love to see an RF 600mm f/4 DO lens!

This is a very quick (ie maybe not precise) comparison images of a test chart.

Images were obtained at a distance of about 30 feet with 600mm f/4L + 1.4TC tripod mounted with mechanical shutter: 1/800 sec. f/8.0. ISO 6400

Images converted using DPP4 and then the only other processing was cropping in photoshop to attempt to match the size of the image shot in crop mode. The first image is full frame shot in full RAW quality.

I shot these using the same settings I have been recently using for birds and in the same location so it's a more real world scenario as opposed to a studio.

Here are the same two images after processing similar to how I might do with bird images but somewhat simplified .... I used Topaz AI sharpen and DeNoise with just the auto settings and then used the camera raw filter to adjust clarity and contrast to a very small degree.

Thanks for these. I love this community

Ok, so IQ appears identical to my eye. The focusing comment is really interesting, and certainly a smaller file has benefits. Thanks again, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Those are good questions .... wish I had precise answers

I will have to see if cropping a full frame image in post is equivalent to shooting in crop mode, I have not tried it yet.

I would say that the eye tracking is definitely better with a larger subject in the frame and absolutely the file size is smaller. The files are similar in size to a 17 mp camera. (ie the original 1Dx was 18 mp)

Composition is improved as the field of view is equivalent to a lens with 1.6 X the focal length of the lens you are using. Thus my 600mm lens will provide a field of view similar to a lens of 960mm.
    I did some test with my R5 in my backyard on a sparrow. The bird was sitting about 30 ft. away. When having "Cropping/aspect ratio" set to "FULL", the camera could not detect the individual bird.
    When I set it so "1.6" it was able to detect the eye of the sparrow, or head of the sparrow in case the sparrow looked away.

This may be a valuable option if you were planning to crop significantly after the fact. Downside of it would be that it is less forgiving in your composition, as there is less to crop.
    Last edited by Duppie; 10-07-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Thanks for these. I love this community

Ok, so IQ appears identical to my eye. The focusing comment is really interesting, and certainly a smaller file has benefits. Thanks again, very helpful.
    I cannot discern much difference either.....makes sense I guess. The crop mode is just selecting a smaller area of the same sensor on which to project the image so it appears larger in the frame but does not have any more pixels on the subject.

So, other than the AF eye tracking improvement, the biggest advantage may be the ability to frame small subjects better in camera with a file size that should be easier to deal with in post and take up less card space. Another possible use might be if you wanted to use EF-S lenses designed for APS-C sized sensors.

Yep, those look pretty similar to me as well. Thanks for the comparison.

I've now set my "DOF" button to switch between crop and FF. Looks like I could also modify the video record button and the light illumination button. As I play, I might do that with say, turning on or off Eye AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Thanks Joel. Can't wait to see the backlog of pics.
    For me, two other considerations will be the fact that I still have an EF mount SLR and DSLR, so I need EF glass, and then potential resale value of the EF lenses. Is it still reasonable? Has it bottomed out? I haven't even looked yet.
    I think it is hard to make reasonable used lens market evaluation during the covid area. Given how well the EF lenses work on the new cameras I would predict lens value will surely fall versus 2-3 years ago, but I'm not sure how much. The lower supply items I would guess hold up stronger unless there's a RF direct replacement.

I haven't bought anything in a while. My last purchase was a 85 f/1.8 in January new that I thought was a smokin deal at $269.

Dave