<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Hello.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I am trying to shoot samples of various stainless steel finishes. The finishes vary in scratch pattern orientation, depth and linearity. My goal is to include them in a 1 page reference sheet. The actual size of the sample photos will be small (about 1&rdquo; square). I plan to crop them very tight. The goal is to be able to show the textures from sample to sample for comparison purposes.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]My first attempts are VERY mediocre. I used a 30D with an EF 100-400mmat various focal lengths. I lit the samples with halogen work lights positioned roughly at 45&deg; to the sides.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] For the color temperature, I shot an 18% grey card to set the color temperature in the camera. I also used a TC-80NC Timer Remote Controller to snap the pictures. The tripod is an old Vivitar 914.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I used the following settings ISO 100, f8.0, 1/10 sec. with the goal of getting the best possible picture quality.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Other equipment in my kit: a Speedlight 580EX II flash, Off camera shoe cord, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 1.4x II Extender, B+W Circular polarizer.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I found getting the pictures in focus was difficult and not consistent:
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]1) It was very hard to focus on the details up close.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]2) I think my tripod is not up to the task.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]3) Using the mirror lock-up function may have helped.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]For an added degree of difficulty, the stainless surfaces are actually part of a stainless steel sink, so even though I am trying to shoot flat surfaces, the rectangular shape of the product makes it more difficult to light.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Any suggestions how I can get better results? Enclosed are 2 samples for reference.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Thanks.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.40.37/Finish_2D00_1001.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.40.37/Finish_2D00_4001.JPG[/img]