Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop, looking for feedback.

Photoshop, looking for feedback.

Curious what you guys think about this. I'm working on the technique only.. so the "richard vier photography" will probably be something else, and most likely with a different picture of me that 'actually' shows my face.

Is this over the top? Anything catch your eye that just isn't working? It's tons of fun to do and surprisingly easy. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1000x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/3618.IMG_5F00_3158_2D00_Edit2.jpg[/img]

and again, smaller. The way it will most likely be viewed:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/4745.IMG_5F00_3158_2D00_Edit2.jpg[/img]
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Re: Photoshop, looking for feedback.

So you shot the shot in a mirror, but flipped the Canon text so that it was clearly readable? Yet the fact that the subject is shooting a "left-handed camera" didn

Like Sean, the 'backwards' camera bothers me. In general, though, I like the concept...depending on your market. I think that if you're looking to attract a wedding clientele, it looks a little dark and edgy, for example.

Also, a note on your logo/watermark. IMO, one purpose of that should be a form of advertising. But if I ran across one of your images, nothing about that logo would enable me to find you, since the only clear text is the word 'photography' and perhaps the letter 'R'. Rather than a signature, stylizing your name with an interesting font might be a better approach - you could keep the 'R' form your signature as the leading letter, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

So you shot the shot in a mirror, but flipped the Canon text so that it was clearly readable? Yet the fact that the subject is shooting a "left-handed camera" didn't bother you?

Heh, yeah. I flipped horizontally at first but I guess it just didn't look like me, if that makes sense. Too used to seeing myself in a mirror I guess. I can see now how other people would wonder at that though.

I see what you mean about the loss of detail in the sleeves, this picture really was a poor candidate for this technique. I am working on a better image right now, actually.

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span>Also, a note on your logo/watermark. IMO, one purpose of that should be a form of advertising. But if I ran across one of your images, nothing about that logo would enable me to find you, since the only clear text is the word 'photography' and perhaps the letter 'R'. Rather than a signature, stylizing your name with an interesting font might be a better approach.

Yeah, as far as that goes I noticed it almost immediately. Doubt I'll even use my name. It was readily available so I put it there as more of a place holder, if anything.

I like the effect, the sepia tones bleeding away to nothing towards the bottom of the image. This particular image is very edgy, good for a "private eye" it would be interesting to see the effect on a "cute" image.

It sort of is a reverse Film Noir effect, vignette to white instead of dark, towards the bottom.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]While I don&rsquo;t normally make comments about creativity issues (because I&rsquo;m not creative) somebody looking over my shoulder said. &ldquo;He&rsquo;s got very dirty hands&rdquo; <span lang="EN-US" style="font-family: Wingdings; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]<span style="mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;"]J<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I love this style, so I think if you work out the kinks then it

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font: medium 'Times New Roman'; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; color: #000000; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"]
    <div style="background-color: #ffffff; margin: 8px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #000000; font-size: 12px; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial;"]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

it would be interesting to see the effect on a "cute" image.

Yeah, I've learned really quickly what is a good image to try this with, and what is not. Too many darks and not enough contrast/highlights to show any detail in my jacket with the one above. Here was my second attempt.

</div>

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" />

if you don