Thread: My real first attempt at making a 360 x 180 degree Panorama using the 5DII

My real first attempt at making a 360 x 180 degree Panorama using the 5DII

My first real attempt at making a 360 x 180 degree full spherical panorama. This image here is flat and consists of 6 stitched images. The full spherical image is six around and one up. When done the finished rectilinear image was 300 MB at 13,894 pixel X 6500 pixel. Shot with my 5D2 and the 360Precision Absolute panorama head with the Canon 15mm fisheye lens. Processed using PTGui Pro.

The full 360 x 170 spherical panorama can be seen at Here

When it opens put you mouse pointer into the picture frame, right click (hold) and move the mouse around left, right, up, down. You can also zoom in and out using the +/- buttons at the bottom. Still learning about this program so its not perfect but I'm getting closer.

You will need the QuickTime player to view the .MOV image. You should have this downloaded as standard equipment but anyone can get it Here free.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.66/Big_2D00_Dam_2D00_Bridge_2D00_Pano_2D00_small.jpg[/img]

Re: My real first attempt at making a 360 x 180 degree Panorama using the 5DII

Unbelievable!!!I absolutely love it! You did one heck of anawesome job with this! [Y]

Denise

Which program did you use to stitch this together three dimensionally?

Very cool! Could use one more picture facing down but other than than flawless (:

I used the mentioned PTGui Pro software. I am working on adding the Nadir/bottom image to the panorama but I'm taking baby steps while I'm learning as I go.

I don't understand what this is about, can someone please explain? Pretty neat tho; really makes you feel like you are in the scene!

Great work!

I know absolutely nothing about 360 degree photography---But this is "way cool" and I love the fact that you were able to balance the lighting, contrast and and rich colors through-out all of the frames---impressive. ---With the sun setting, this had to be a challange. This really looks like you had to race the clock (setting sun), I am curious, how long did it take you to get all of the shots you needed for this?

Bob
    Bob

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title></title>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)" />
    <style type="text/css"]
    &lt;!--
    @page { margin: 0.79in }
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"]With this program that I used it gives
    you the option to shoot bracketed exposures and link them all
    together. As long as they all have the specific sequence in shutter
    and aperture settings it recognizes this and blends the images as
    well as finds the common connection points. This program is very
    complex and simple at the same time where I've already spent at least
    sixty hours trying to understand everything and know exactly how all
    the various parameters work. I've had this program/set up for 6
    months where I'm just now trying to figure it out. A lot of this time
    is Internet research and contacting other users from around the world
    to find out tips and tricks. I jumped into this with absolutely no
    experience stitching complex images together or the spherical aspect
    so its a long and tedious process to figure it all out. The other
    part of the process which is time consuming is understanding .mov
    files, flash, file optimization, and embedding them into your website
    or on the web in general.

With a little more playing around I found the way to add the down view/nadir point of view. I think I'm done playing around with this image until I can find something else worth capturing in a 360 degree spherical view.

Also the yellowish discoloration in front of the guard rail in the opening scene is a jogger that happened to run by of course at the perfect time and streak through the image. I didn't think it would show up in the final image as he was moving pretty fast with a longer exposure.

Finished image can be seen here: http://www.freelanceshots.com/360_Big_Dam_Bridge_panorama