Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "...asking for your permission [to use a photo]"

"...asking for your permission [to use a photo]"

I woke up this morning to an interesting message sent to me on Flickr. Here it is:

"Hello, I'm an italian universitary student.
    We're organizing an event of a series of sports tournaments and my task on this is to do the graphics work.

I was really interested in your foto:
    [link appears at end of post]

And I'd like to use it so I'm asking for your permission.

Last but not least. If It could be possible, I'd like to ask you the file in full size 'cause I need to print in a big format.

Waiting for your response...

[Name withheld]

Thank you so much!"
    I've had similar requests in the past, and I when I feel there's no significant financial opportunity, I usually allow it. However, here's what my mind went through immediately after seeing the request.

First of all, I have several decent sports-themed shots in my photostream. However, I don't have a model release for commercial use for any of them. So in my mind, I'm thinking through the pictures the person could possibly want (keep in mind, I haven't actually clicked on the link to the image yet).

If they're wanting one of the football pictures, I wouldn't feel right until I had an explicit release from Alex:

Alex Maddux: Gridiron Ready 2 by budrowilson, on Flickr

If they're wanting one of the MMA shots, then I'd need a release from Jeremy:

Jeremy: MMA Fighter in the Alley 1 by budrowilson, on Flickr

If they're wanting one of the lacrosse pictures, I'd need a release from Katherine:

Katherine: Lacrosse is Serious Business by budrowilson, on Flickr

If they're wanting a basketball picture, I'd most likely have to get a release from Meagan:

Meagan and the Cage by budrowilson, on Flickr

Then I realized that I was just getting ahead of myself. I should first just see what picture they want to use, then go forward from there. So, I finally clicked on the link.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/5868852779/

After a good 30 seconds of chuckling, I replied:

"Permission granted. Knock yourself out. Send me a copy of the literature just for kicks.

-Sean"
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 04-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.

That's funny.
    Rolling Stone will want your suburban rapper on the cover next.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

While I don't have 1/1000th the talent you do, I would have thought the same way if I were in your shoes (before clicking on the link). I guess we tend to overthink things sometimes...

Great shot by the way, hope the scouts see your talents (both ping-pong and photography)
    Last edited by Always Looking; 04-13-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Sean, do you have a model release on file for that handsome dude in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Sean, do you have a model release on file for that handsome dude in the picture?
    He just emailed me a PDF. We're good. ;-)

In a rare twist of fate your pictures is used in a marketing campaign, the kid makes billions selling ping pong paddles, and you get nothing.

Sean; you really should call your attorney before making such decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    In a rare twist of fate your pictures is used in a marketing campaign, the kid makes billions selling ping pong paddles, and you get nothing.
    Questa è la vita, amico mio. ;-)

Lol! Great story! I will notify you when I scout the poster during holidays or tripsWould be awesome to spot one!
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

Sean; you really should call your attorney before making such decisions.
    It's an Italian demand, consider the photo as protection money and be glad with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Questa è la vita, amico mio. ;-)
    What he said

You should have charged $25,000 and used the money to start a "Bubba Setters" shrimping business.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    You should have charged $25,000 and used the money to start a "Bubba Setters" shrimping business.
    I like shrimp. Shrimp is the food of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole... Shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried... There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp... Shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That, that's about it.