Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

Hmmm, an Acra-Swiss-mounted bookend. That'd be the perfect thing to keep your books from moving.
    Mount a 100-400 on it, use the locking-ring thingy, and you can keep any number of books of any thickness perfectly stable...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Lol....well thought out; very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Some guy on CR just claimed they "knew" it would be the 7th... With the usual CR disclaimer of it's just what one guy reckons and is probably wrong.
    I'm hanging out for it too, breathe a bit more life into my digital and stop me from buying more films for a while, but I don't see it happening before the end of the Olympics, it'll just get lost in the noise...
    Guess that guy is credible. heh.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Well, Now that of few of you actually have the upgrade--does it really make much of a difference---what are your thoughts on the good, the bad and the ugly???

As for me---I love the Auto ISO limiting and I really like the speed increase--the increased buffer speed seems to help a little. One thing that I really looked forward to and was later disappointed about is the in camera raw processing. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part; but I thought you would be able to set for example--picture styles and have them applied to the raw image so that the "style" would be applied and readable by software other than DPP. Unfortunately you have to apply the changes to each individual picture in camera---so really not much benefit, for me anyway. Its a lot faster to use the computer for this rather editing each individual picture by punching buttons on the back of a camera.

Your thoughts??
    Bob

The auto-ISO setting was worth it. If I ever need to shoot a bunch of images quickly, the extra frames will be nice. I do all editing in post anyway, so none of that in-camera stuff appeals to me. It was simple enough to do the upgrade, though, so why not?
    Mark - Flickr

I grabbed the latest EOS Utility, ZoomBrowser, and the firmware. All seem to work as expected, however whichever version of Canon RAW codec I have installed doesn't read the new firmware 2 images. I see there is a RAW Codec released the same day as the latest ZoomBrowser (which works), but I haven't downloaded it yet (on the wrong PC). So, if you use the Windows RAW Codec at all (to get icons for RAWs, or the slow yet handy at times Windows Image Previewer), you'll likely want to grab the latest of that too.

On an unrelated side note, does anyone know if there's a way to get back to the Adobe RAW converter from Elements 10 without closing the converted image and reopening the RAW? DPP has spoiled me into changing things whenever I want, such as re-tweaking white balance. The ACR/PSE combo isn't seeming quite as friendly (though it does seem capable of producing nicer images). I'd love to know that there is a secret button to go back into ACR. I know I'd lose all my edits in Elements, and that's fine. I guessing the solution is 'buy Lightroom', but figured I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    On an unrelated side note, does anyone know if there's a way to get back to the Adobe RAW converter from Elements 10 without closing the converted image and reopening the RAW? DPP has spoiled me into changing things whenever I want, such as re-tweaking white balance. The ACR/PSE combo isn't seeming quite as friendly (though it does seem capable of producing nicer images). I'd love to know that there is a secret button to go back into ACR. I know I'd lose all my edits in Elements, and that's fine. I guessing the solution is 'buy Lightroom', but figured I'd ask.
    I've searched high and low in CS5 for this secret button and haven't found it yet so maybe if someone gives you your answer it will help me too! For now, I've started to get used to having to close & reopen.

I guessing the solution is 'buy Lightroom', but figured I'd ask.
    Hmmmmm......Guessing......Thinking.......Ummmm, Yep......Buy LIGHTROOM.. BTW, LR uses ACR as its raw converter so no loss of image quality there. Seriously, I just love being able to go back and repair my mistakes--So yeah, I am an LR Junkie, No matter haw hard Joel try's to convert me.
    Bob

I can honestly say that I never found the features of Lightroom to be worthwhile (but I know I'm in the minority there).

DPP does everything I need a RAW converter to do. It's made by Canon, so it's perfectly suited to process Canon RAW files. Batch processing is a breeze, the rating system is quite useful, and it's free.

If a pic needs more work, there's Photoshop. For everything else, DPP not only works, but works well for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bryan's got the new MS Codec linked on the main site. It works way better than anything they previously had. It very quickly shows CR2 and NEF files as images.

I love ACR. I do most of my PP there and only have a couple actions I run in PS. Although I'm still resizing in PS. I really should automate that part more.
    Mark - Flickr