Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D S coming soon perhaps?

5D S coming soon perhaps?

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/30/cano...ll-frame-dslr/

Probably they are waiting on the announcement to be imminent.
    Still leaked specs and rumors and many questions to be answered.

I am still trying to figure out if the no pass filter matters and which body to have.

The potential is pretty interesting. But these kind of leaked specs only tell you so much (if they even prove to be true, granted, it is looking good).

What I will be waiting for will be the reviews and analyses. How much resolution is actually gained? Which lenses are really up to 50+MP? How do the images compare to MF/D810? What are the sensor performance numbers? Is there any new tech that may filter into other cameras?

Generally speaking, I am very intrigued by what Canon is doing. Trading high ISO for better colors and hopefully nailing performance from ISO 100-6400 (which is where I shoot 99.9+% of the time). This really could be an amazing camera. But, I am expecting it to come in around $4,500, combine that with the fact that I am getting to a very happy place with my kit, I am likely just an interested bystander on this one.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.

5D S coming soon perhaps?

I'm pleased that the whole 5D range hasn't moved stupidly up the Canon model range. The idea of using the 5D body for a range of solutions echo's the previous 1D strategy, but at a much lower price point,

5DS - High MP monster
    5DS R - High MP without Low Pass filter
    5D Mk IV - Evolutionary improvements on the Mk III

Could we see something similar in the 6D range as a lower cost alternative ?

I accept everything that could reduce the price of 5dMkIII
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

The first think I looked for was a 100% view through the viewfinder.
    While not a big disappointment I was hoping for more from magnification .71 magnification vs .76 with the 1Dx. I want to eventually buy at least the 55mm Zeis, MF could use all the view possible.

Crop Modes, wouldn't it be great if the crop modes give a higher frame rate? Most likely it will just increase your burst rate.
    A flip touch screen would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I wonder if it is a sealing issue and that is why the 7D II doesn't have it.

I have been waiting on this body for years and will be pre-ordering.

I copied this from Canon Rumors. It is not listed as a CR, which usually means it is no longer a rumor.
    http://www.canonrumors.com/
    Specifications of the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R (Updated February 1, 2015)
    • 50.6mp full frame CMOS
    • 53mp total resolution
    • 5DS R has no low pass filter
    • AF 61 points (41 points cross type)
    • ISO 100-6400 (extended with ISO50 and 12800)
    • Dual DIGIC 6
    • 3.2 inch LCD 1.04 million pixels
    • RAW (50MP), M-RAW (28MP), S-RAW (12.4MP)
    • CF (UDMA7), SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I)
    • Crop modes 1.3x and 1.6x
    • 100% field of view
    • Magnification 0.71 times, the eye point 21 mm
    • Electronic Level
    • Grid display
    • EV-2 support.
    • Itr AF
    • Anti-flicker
    • Time-lapse movie
    • Bulb timer
    • Face recognition during live view
    • 150,000 pixel RGB-TR metering sensor
    • 252 zone TTL metering
    • EOS iSA system
    • Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds
    • Synchro is 1/200 sec
    • Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec
    • Video 1920×1080 30fps (ALL-I or IPB)
    • Mini HDMI output terminal
    • External microphone terminal
    • Battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
    • Dimensions 152 x 116.4 x 76.4mm
    • Weight 930g (CIPA guidelines). 845g (body only)

I've spent plenty of money on camera stuff. I don't want to spend more money.

What will the 50 MP camera offer that today's 20 MP cannot - a nearly imperceptible gain in sharpness for most of my uses? It seems like a photographic arms race -- buy this camera and then even more expensive lenses are required to maximize it.

No thanks.

I'm sure many will enjoy it, but the current full frame offerings certainly check the "good enough" check box IMHO.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    What will the 50 MP camera offer that today's 20 MP cannot - a nearly imperceptible gain in sharpness for most of my uses? It seems like a photographic arms race -- buy this camera and then even more expensive lenses are required to maximize it
    I already have the 500mm L and it will maximize it (maybe). I know from using the 7D II increased resolution that the gain will be there and it will be over the entire sensor now.

However, most people will never realize the gain at their fingertips with this camera. Whether it be due to equipment limitations or chosen technique.
    I suppose that is why there is a rumored 5D IV coming. It will fit the masses.

I hear that, but it is one of my chosen hobbies and it is expensive.

What will the 50 MP camera offer that today's 20 MP cannot - a nearly imperceptible gain in sharpness for most of my uses? It seems like a photographic arms race -- buy this camera and then even more expensive lenses are required to maximize it.

No thanks.

I'm sure many will enjoy it, but the current full frame offerings certainly check the "good enough" check box IMHO.

Dave
    Based on what HDNitehawk posted as specs, I'm now reconsidering. For me, it's also too much money for just a little gain.

Your comment about a photographic arms race is pretty funny, and it's true.

It seems that the curve is approaching the asymptote.

The primary gain for me would be the ability to make very large prints with great detail and also the ability to crop yet still have a very high resolution image. Should be able to crop away 60% of the frame and have an image left that is equivalent (in resolution) to the 1DX full frame. If the noise is well controlled then that will be a big gain. (pixels much smaller than 1DX of course)

I will be extremely interested in this camera but not sure about pre-ordering....might wait a couple of months to see if any issues arise.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 02-01-2015 at 04:59 PM.