Thread: Best Wide Angle Lens for Indoor potography

Best Wide Angle Lens for Indoor potography

<span>Hello Everyone,<o></o>

<span><o></o>

<span>I just purchased a Canon XSI with the stock 18-55mm IS and additionally
    a 70-200mm f4 IS lens. I have decided that I want a wide angle lens for indoor
    photography (halls, schools, restaurants, hotels, etc). What is the best lens
    (not most expensive) for this or can I use the 18-55mm IS for this purpose and
    get good images?<o></o>

<span><o></o>

<span>Thanks for the assistance<o></o>

Re: Best Wide Angle Lens for Indoor potography

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Are you able to use flash?<span> <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]If not, for low-light indoor wide angle, I'd probably have to give the nod to the[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554035-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXC_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html]Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8[/url].<span style="color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<u1></u1>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<u1></u1>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]It's 2/3 of a stop slower at the wide end and 1 1/3 stops slower at the long end but I use the [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351542-USA/Canon_9518A002_EF_S_10_22mm_f_3_5_4_5_USM.html]EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5[/url] and love it.<span style="color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<u1></u1>
    <span style="color: black; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

I have been very happy with the EF-S 10-22 on a 30D. Its not that fast, but easy to hand hold steady, or brace it on something.

Larry

What are you shooting indoors? If you're shooting the architecture, you're probably best towards f/8 or f/11 with any lens you're using, and at that aperture your kit lens should do fairly well. Your bigger factor might be needing an even wider lens on a crop body.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<span>Hi,<o></o>

<span>Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to shoot the architecture
    mostly under minimum lighting with people movement. All suggestions point to the EF-S 10-22mm
    f/3.5-4.5. You also mentioned that setting it at f/8 or f/11. Would this be
    suggested for low lighting? What lens can operate atf/8 or f/11 in low
    lighting? Wide angle that is.

Thanks

If you're shooting architecture, you need f/8 or f/11 for large depth of field, except for the widest of focal lengths.

Almost any lens can operate at f/8 or f/11. In low light, you'll need a combination of long shutter time and/or super-high ISO, so a GOOD tripod is most likely your best bet.

I've tried to shoot bowling with my 16-35/2.8 at f/4 or f/5.6 and focused to the hyperfocal distance (shortest distance that has DOF to infinity), and was never satisfied with the results.

I've enjoyed shooting with the 10-22, but found that the rectilinear correction can lead to perspective distortion REALLY quickly. You'll want to ensure that you're shooting level with the horizon, parallel to the apparent ground (perpendicular to building faces, etc.), or really understand how to frame your picture in a workable manner.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I can tell you that the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is next on my "to buy" list. The reviews for it are pretty good, and it's fairly reasonably priced, in my opinion.