Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 580EX II Speedlight Problem - Advice Needed Please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

580EX II Speedlight Problem - Advice Needed Please!

First off, I will give you an idea of my set-up when using flash, I have one 580 EX II, one 430 EX II and one very, very cheap Zeikos flash that came with my long ago original Rebel kit. Believe it or not, it does work well as a slave for fill etc. I use an Yongnuo RF-602TX Controller and Yongnuo RF-602RX wireless receivers. I also have an Opteka E-TTL/E-TTL II Flash Cord for when I use a flash on a bracket attached to my camera. For batteries in the flashes, I use eneloop.

Now for the problem ...

My flashes have become very unreliable and it has been extremely frustrating. I didn't know if the problem was me, the flashes, the batteries or the controller and receivers. With them firing a shot and then all of a sudden not for a few photos and then firing, I knew it wasn't my settings. So, I bought all new batteries and just installed them, and I STILL have the same problem.

Thru process of elimination tonight, I think I have narrowed the problem down to being my 580EX II! I bought this flash new 1/2010, shouldn't it last longer than 2 years of very limited usage!? What is the life span of a speedlight? Is it possible it is the little silver connectors on the bottom of the flash? Should I clean them, if so with what? I don't see how they would be dirty anyway since it is always in its case when not in use.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix it myself? I really need this flash and most definitely don't have the $ to buy another one and I am sure Canon would charge close to a new one to repair it. Is the 580EX II the only model that will work as a master for my 430EX II and my Zeikos? I am just wondering if I should try to pick up a used one but then I could end up with someone else's problem.

I swear I do not get through a day without something going wrong ...ERRR!! Sorry, I'm in a bad mood, I am in alot of pain and just racked up a ton of medical bills for myself today and now this problem tonight!

Medical issues/pain? Sorry you are nor feeling good.
    The electrical contacts on the flash and the camera can be cleaned with a q-tip and alcohol. Denatured alcohol is the best but rubbing is fine. I do not think this is your problem but will not hurt to give it a try. Clean the battery terminals in the flash as well.
    Are you having a problem with on-camera flash or just from a trigger. Clean the terminals on your cord and triggers as well. I had a flash stop working during the wedding Saturday. I found that my trigger batteries had failed. I forgot to check them. Being an electrical kind of guy I have a volt meter to check them with and still failed to check the ones in my slaves.
    Hope you get to feeling better soon
    Mark

Thanks, Mark!

The problem is even when the flash is on-camera. It is too late tonight but tomorrow I will do the complete cleaning that you have suggested and hopefully it will solve the problem.

Thanks much!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    With them firing a shot and then all of a sudden not for a few photos and then firing, I knew it wasn't my settings. So, I bought all new batteries and just installed them, and I STILL have the same problem.
    Is it possible that you are using high power and not waiting long enough between shots? If so, what you described could be completely normal. Even with fresh batteries, when I discharge my 580EX II at full power, it will not work for several seconds while it recharges. At low power, it can do rapid fire no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    Is it possible that you are using high power and not waiting long enough between shots? If so, what you described could be completely normal. Even with fresh batteries, when I discharge my 580EX II at full power, it will not work for several seconds while it recharges. At low power, it can do rapid fire no problem.
    I am not sure of the power setting I had it on but I think I waited plenty long between shots and then I put on the 430EX II and fired shot and shot with no problem. But again, I don't know what settings I had the 430 on either at the time.

More testing to be done tomorrow but I sure hope I solve the problem! Fingers crossed!!

Well, I cleaned all the terminals with rubbing alcohol this morning and still the same problem. I put the 580 directly on camera and it either did not fire or when it did,it was very weak. I then put the 430 directly on camera (using the same batteries) and it fired perfectly bright every time.

Looks like I am going to have to invest in another master flash which isn't going to be able to happen anytime soon but being down to one flash sure ruins alot of things that I have been working on lately!

Denise,

Let me have you perform some specific tests so that we can remove one known issue with some 580 EXIIs.

With the flash on camera:

1) Take a picture with the flash set to 1:1
    2) Take a picture with the flash set to 1:64
    3) Take a picture set to ETTL

To make this easy set your camera to Manual and just take a picture of the wall or something. Expose it so that it's a couple of stops under exposed. If you've got a bad 580 then this is what should happen:

1) WAY over exposed
    2) WAY over exposed
    3) Will appear as if the flash did not go off.

Here's the known issue:

The flash will ONLY make FULL pops. This would explain the super slow recycle time. The reason why it appears to be at a super low power is because (in ETTL) when it does a pre-flash it's doing it at 1:1 so that the actual flash does not fire as it's still recyling.

Do that and report back.

PS:
    If you are using "dumb" triggers then why would you need a "master". Your 430EX is almost as powerful as the 580EX. With dumb triggers there is no master...
    Last edited by Mark Elberson; 03-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.

In ETTL, the flash either doesn't go off at all or it does but the photo is extremely dark. In manual, it did go off but the photo is either almost completely dark or extremely over-exposed set at either 1:1 or 1:64. I'm not seeing any consistency in any of the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    In ETTL, the flash either doesn't go off at all or it does but the photo is extremely dark. In manual, it did go off but the photo is either almost completely dark or extremely over-exposed set at either 1:1 or 1:64. I'm not seeing any consistency in any of the settings.
    Sounds like the flash is not working in ETTL but is in manual. Try in manual to very the power settings between 1:1 or 1:64 until you get a good exposure. Then try that setting several time to ensure the exposures are consistant making sure you alot time for recycle.
    Mark

I just turned everything off and back on. I took various shots in manual at various settings between 1:1 - 1:64 and waited over a minute between shots and it didn't go off once not even the first shot. When I hit the "Pilot" button it does trigger.

This sucks really, REALLY bad!