Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Promotions: What are yours?

Photo Promotions: What are yours?

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: #333333; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,'Nimbus Sans L',sans-serif; font-size: 15px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 24px; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;"]
    <p style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.625; margin-bottom: 1.625em;"]<strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]WALL ART ON SALE THROUGH THE MONTH OF OCTOBER[/b]
    <p style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.625; margin-bottom: 1.625em;"]<strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]"FRESH Photography[/b]is now offering<strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]huge discounts[/b]on all of it's<strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]Fine Art[/b]and<strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]Wall Prints[/b]bought through the website. Just use the coupon code: <strong style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.625;"]OCTOBERART[/b]at the checkout to receive your price reduction!
    <p style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.625; margin-bottom: 1.625em;"]These prints are professionally processed by high-quality labs and mailed directly to you. There are framing and matting options available as well, and I'd recommend using the Luster Coating/Metallic paper for anything you want to really "pop" off the wall! Prints start at 11x14" and go from there to HUGE!
    <p style="color: inherit; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 15px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; font-style: inherit; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.625; margin-bottom: 1.625em;"]Please enjoy them as I enjoyed traveling and taking them! If anyone would like any additional info on where a photo was taken, or other specifics about the photo, please don't hesitate to send an e-mail. Thanks everyone!"

- FRESHPHOTOBLOG.COM

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY OF THEIR PHOTOS FOR SALE?

Re: WALL ART ON SALE DURING THE MONTH OF OCTOBER!

Sorry Jordan, This is Spam and as such warrants no more attention.
    Bob

Well my intention with this post was to spur some conversation about people selling photography online, hence my sentence asking if anyone else has their photos for sale. I doubt that other photographers are a good target to my mine. Still, however, I wouldn

Again, Sorry Jordan---please take no offense, We occasionally get real spam on the site. If your intentions were to promote conversation, then I humbly apologize for misunderstanding---So let the conversation begin:

I too try and sell online but am having dismal luck (that should tell me something)---in reality, I really don
    Bob

I must admit, when I first read this post, I was confused as to whether or not it was SPAM (I almost exercised my mod privileges to delete it straight away). I have edited the title to signify that it was created by a known member of the forum, rather than a spam bot.

Thank you Bob, thank you Sean.

I really think the title should be "Photo Promotions: What are yours?" or something to that effect...

Yes Bob, Zenfolio is great for it

Bob,

I sports photography and might be able to give you some ideas and suggestions.

I too have a zenfolio site and have not sold one item. It recently came up for renewal and I was very hesitant to go another year with it. I did but only because i remember all that my daughter and I put into it setting it up!

I wonder if it would be better to actually have some of the photos printed ourselves and have them put on display somewhere. I don

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I wonder if it would be better to actually have some of the photos printed ourselves and have them put on display somewhere. I don't think the average person understands the difference between a Walmart printed snapshot and a quality photo taken by a skilled photographer and printed by Mpix until they actually phyically see it framed and ready to hang.

Denise

It is very common in my area of the world to see art and photographs hanging on the walls of restaurants offered for sale.Almost always they are local artists or photographers and if you ask about them, usually thepeople in therestaurant can tell you who did the work.I am sure they are sold on commission, but honestly I have never been their when one is sold. In fact I never have noticed a bare spot on the wall where one sold. You would be out the expense of framing and printing and might never sell one.

I have thought maybe art shows or somthing similar might be a better option.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    So far I've been very happy with the Zenfolio site, but it's just that people seem to have a hard time wanting to buy photos.... or perhaps just I don't have the right ones up?

Jordan, My guess would be a liitle of both plus the effort it requires to truley market your work to the right customer base. When I look on the "pros" pages of zenfolio, they almost always have a specific genre they are catering too. For example, If they do weddings, then thier entire webpage is set up to promote and sell wedding packages. What I find very interesting is the fine-art photographers; When they puplish thier work, it usually includes frame/matting, gallery layouts etc on the both the thumbnails andlarge views. When you think about it, when you buy fine art photos, younormally buy he whole package frame and all, so it only makes sense to display and market as such.

I may be wrong, But I think the shot gun approach only works for well established photogs who have already made a name for themselves or those who have the means to really get thier hit rate up beyond the 20,000 range or more.

Speaking of hit rate: I have had my site for two years but only have 587 hits on it---that includes what you guys have looked at, my family, friends etc. I have registered with the major search engines, but the only shotsof mineI find on general searches are normally those I have posted here on TDP. Thats good, except that when you click on the thumbnail, it takes you to TDP and not my website. Advertising is another way to get your hit rate up, but it's expensive. I think one of those little sideline adds on face book cost you around a dollar per click.

Hit rate continued: Since search engines don't see pictures, they have to look for text---This is where I am seriously lazy. The more "appropriate" text you can attach to a photo or website, the more likely people are going to be able to find your site when doing general searches. This text includes photo titles, discriptions, keywords and concise write-ups on your webpage welcome screen, site discriptions, about pages etc. The more "keywords" you can use in those welcome screens and discriptions the better. I know that lazyness in this area is one of my biggest weaknesses.

Now---The real story for me and as I said before, My stuff just isn't that good. When I look at the pro sites, I clearly understand why my stuff isn't selling. Now, I do have a few shots that I am very proud of, but when I compared my "collection" to the collections of the pros, there is simplyno comparison.

New Subject: Collections.Virtually of us on this site have a few really great shots, but whenwe look atour "collections" as a whole, they are filled with mediocre shots, family shots, pet shots, and shots of what we like, but not necessarily"Just thesellable shots". Now, assuming a potential buyer can actually find your website,what is it that theysee for the first time---what is on your page that will keep them looking? A slide show with a mixed batch of photos, or a single "outstanding shot". How about a catchy write-up or no write-up at all.What is it that makes a potential customer keep looking. If its wildlife they are looking for, then they probably want to see a solid collection of outstanding wildlife shots. If its portraits, then they probably want to see how good you can make them look; and if its weddings, then they are probably looking for something truely memorable, something that makes the bride look stunning and that can bea prized family <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]heirloom for generations.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]So ultimately, we have to ask ourselves "what is the purpose of our website" and focus our efforts to those ends. Someone asked me that very question a couple of years ago when I asked the forum members for a little comment and critique. To this day I still can't answer it with any certainty.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]So now that I have divuldgedsome of my theories on why my website isn't selling, is there anyone on the forum that actually makes "minumum wage" or even enough to offset he cost of gear selling pics online---If so, please give us some tips.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Thanks,

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Bob

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]

Bob