Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shot do you like best

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

What shot do you like best

So I went and photographed a lighthouse last night as the full moon came up. I cant decide which one I like best. It was hard to get everything exposed how I wanted since there was such high contrast. The Moon was moving fast enough to my attempt at merging multiple exposures didn't work all that well.

So let me know which one you like best and of course critique and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Nick

Nice set Nick. Sharp and great colors. My favorite is the last one - the shrouded moon creates an interesting mood. I also like the second to last one, though the lighthouse is a bit too centered for me. The first one is well done as well.

Cheers,

Damian

Last one. I like the composition in this one best. I actually like the moon in three better, as you were able to retain some of the moon surface details in a longer exposure.
    Last edited by dsiegel5151; 01-10-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

very nice set! I like the composition of the last one but the moon seems better to me in the third one.

yeah the 3rd one I did manage to combine to exposures to recover the moons detail.

Yep I agree with the previous comments, I think some judicous cropping of the third shot would result in the best image of the series. Lose a bit of the top and take it right up to the edge of the first well lit tree on the left.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Personally I like the last one the best. The clouds shrouding the moon actually remove much of the detail which relieves my eyes from the need to jitter back and forth from the moon to the lighthouse. The base of the building draws the eyes right to optics at the top. Having the moon standing out bright pulls them away.

nvitalephotography

I sent you a PM let me know, thanks.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

How could you miss to put the light house in the right position of composition, instead of the centered positioned ? Sometimes we are not aware this during shooting, especially the euphoria one...