Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Water rafting trip

White Water rafting trip

I am scheduled to go with my church youth group on a retreat in early June and one of the events we will be doing is white water rafting.

Even though I will probably not take my camera in the water I was curious if any one has any comments on if they think it would be possible.

I have the Canon 7D and 17-40L lens. I know I would need a UV to complete the seal on the lens, but was curious if the 7D body would hold up to the possibilty of all that water.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Re: White Water rafting trip

Quote Originally Posted by jjknights

I am scheduled to go with my church youth group on a retreat in early June and one of the events we will be doing is white water rafting.

Even though I will probably not take my camera in the water I was curious if any one has any comments on if they think it would be possible.

I have the Canon 7D and 17-40L lens. I know I would need a UV to complete the seal on the lens, but was curious if the 7D body would hold up to the possibilty of all that water.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I wouldn't do it without a 1-series body, and probably wouldn't do it at all. An underwater enclosure would be the other way I'd do it.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I would not take a nice camera (ie, SLR) on the water.

That said, I'm taking a group rafting in August, and I'm contemplating skipping the rafting in order to take photos as people go down the river. Would love a 70-200 on a tripod for that!

but was curious if the 7D body would hold up to the possibilty of all that water.

If it is not going to be submerged in water you MIGHT be able to get away with it. If you had a 1-series body you can still get water inside. Very forcefulspashingwater can work it's way inside even in a 1-series, and your chances are even worse with a 7D.

If you canbuild a make-shift water proof enclosure then I would try it. And if a little water gets in your7D should be able to handle it.

John.

Unless you have scouted the location I would be hesitant of even a 70-200 doing the trick. I think something like a 100-400 may be more appropriate in most locations where white water rafting is found.

EDIT: If sitting ashore and just shooting that is.

Hi! I always think it is possible by degree. A good sealed lens protected by perhaps a plastic 'zip lock' bag with a hole secured with duct tape for the lens opening is a good start. The camera body? Well secure it too in a clear plastic bag and all should be protected with enough view to target your focus point and access the necessary buttons. As for a drop in the water, probably recoverable. A 1 atmosphere submergence, probably not. Degree 2? Do you really need to take a 7D? My trusty 20D did survive a trip like that and it's value today? At least the CF cards will live through the experience!

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

If you canbuild a make-shift water proof enclosure then I would try it. And if a little water gets in your7D should be able to handle it.

I doubt a 7D can handle sitting in water. Gravity is going to draw the camera and the water to the lowest point. The first thing you're going to test is the battery door, and that's not something I want to test against water.

Plain and simple, it's your camera. If it's disposable to you, go for it. "I want to have functional cameras for the extent of their useful life" should win out over "I want pictures of this one event".
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I encourage anyone curious about the capabilities of the 7D in extreme weather conditions to read this article.

You mean in the boat?

If you're not going in the raft, I can't see why not ,it can handle some splashes[]If you do take your camera rafting, remember that it could go swimming just like you could do [A] I would love to see some of those photos though, I like fearless people [H]

Jan

Two options to consider:

1. Rent a pro-body DSLR with L-lenses and fire away. Consider a dry bag sold at any kayak/outdoor store like REI.

2. Rent or buy a nice new point and shoot underwater camera. Sony, Pentax, Panasonic and Canon to name a few allow for water action shots like these without the worry and hassle of bringing out the big photo bag. Most do at least 720p HD video too. While your 7D does the same, why risk it?

Have a great trip. I'm doing a slow river ride from Glen Cyn Dam to Marble Canyon just out of Page, AZ next month. I am taking the 7D for the wildlife and petroglyphs and the underwater P&amp;S if we decide to plunge into the frigid Colorado River.