Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera "Bean Bag" support

Camera "Bean Bag" support

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Does anyone have suggestions on who makes a good bean bag support for a camera body?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] What are your experiences, Goodor bad?

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<o></o>

Re: Camera "Bean Bag" support

Check out the one here.http://www.wildlifeimaging.com/tour-home.htm Some of the folks at FM fourms recommend them. I have seen them in my local shop and they look pretty good. Want to get one myself.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Wes,<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Thanks for the input. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If I fill it with a very light but firm material it should be easy to carry around.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Bob<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]<o></o>

I have seen folks fill it with every thing from rice to red beans. You could probably fill it with some of the plastic BBs and it would be really light weight but confirm well.

You know, Wes, that's pretty darn nifty. Thanks for the link!

You welcome.

One thing to think about on the plastic BBs - plastic on plastic is pretty slick. I would expect that every time you twitch, the bean bag will shift as a few more beads move around. That might not be a problem in some cases, but I can think of times when it wouldn't be desirable, e.g. trying to get the exact same composition over several shots or a tricky shot where you're just trying to trigger the shutter without being able to otherwise support the camera. Off-the-wall suggestion, but try some lawn grass seed - it's fairly light, but the seed has "feathers" that will interlock when compressed and not slide around. Maybe some rolled oats/oat meal - just not the instant variety. Cheerios would work well, esp. if you shoot where there are hungry toddlers.

I use one of THE PODs, which basicallyis a beanbag with a standard tripod screw on top and non-slippery surface on the bottom. I am very pleased with my pod []

Here is the link to their site:

http://www.thepod.ca/

play dough...

maybe in a sandwich bag to keep it out of the camera, and to keep it pliable.

I use a Kinesis SafariSack filled with plastic granules (raw material used in plastics moulding). It works great but is heavy. If I am travelling I empty it and buy dried rice or wheat to fill it up at my destination. The Kinesis bag has straps that allow it to be adjusted into different profiles and strapped to a large lens.