Thread: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and Canon Dslr XSI

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and Canon Dslr XSI

Just wondering will the Canon EF 24-105mm L series lense work on a Canon XSI? Thanks

Re: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and Canon Dslr XSI

Yes, Canon EF-mount lenses will work on any Canon DSLR. All L-series lenses are EF-mount.

Canon EF-S mount lenses will only work on EF-S capable DSLR bodies. If there's a white square on the lens mount, an EF-S lens will work on it.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Absolutely! Any Canon EF-S or EF mount lens (nearly all L lenses are EF mount) will work on any Canon EOS camera, including the XSi. There are also special-use lenses that will also work, such as the MP-E Macro and TS-E Tilt-Shift lenses.

will there be any short comings using an EF lens since the image sensor on the XSI is not full frame? I was told that using a non EF-S lense may have black spots in the viewfinder...I don't know how but thats what I've been told...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhakon
    will there be any short comings using an EF lens since the image sensor on the XSI is not full frame?

Only when using wide-angles. A full-frame wide-angle lens (such as 16-35/2.8L) is less efficient than an EF-S lens of similar focal length (such as 17-55/2.8IS) when using a crop body like the XSi, since the 16-35L is designed as a wide-angle lens, while the EF-S 17-55 is designed as a normal lens. That is why the EF-S 17-55 can have a larger zoom range and IS while still costing less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhakon
    I was told that using a non EF-S lense may have black spots in the viewfinder...I don't know how but thats what I've been told...

It is not true that a non-EF-S lens will cause black spots. The black spots in the viewfinder are most likely caused by dust that got inside the camera during a lens change and landed on the focusing screen. The dust visible in the viewfinder wil not show up in the pictures.