Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Australia Price Drop

Canon Australia Price Drop

For all the Aussies around here (4 of us I think) Canon Australia has announced a retail price drop. See details below.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

The price cuts range from around 5% to 30% on DSLR, compact and video cameras, and bring Australia more into line with US pricing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Canon Australia Price Drop

EF 70-300 nonL, $1200 down to $950.

don
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I figured those prices couldn
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

yeah, i always knew aussie prices were ridiculous but didn
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

And if you look at the lenses alone:

The 70-300 (non L) sales have died because the Tamron has better IQ and is cheaper.

The 400 5.6L must be the oldest lens Canon has (1993).

So Canon is attempting to move overstocked items without any real incentive, I think there will be future price reductions.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

400 5.6L is old, but still being manufactured and bought at a high rate. Still a fantastic lens. Has nothing to do with age.

I do agree about the Tamron though. I myself own the new Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD. Love it.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Rocco
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]The technology used in manufacturing this lens is very old. If you just look at the glass alone, how many of the existing lenses would use these processes, not many I would suspect. When it comes to Prime lenses, if I remember correctly there was new optics for both the IS and IS II lens lines, which means these optics are 3 generations old. If you look at the electronics, sourcing parts this old would be a nightmare and using new parts is a big change.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]As I understand it when Canon make a change to the optics they give the lens a new designation like &ldquo;II&rdquo; to show that it&rsquo;s been revised. When they make a change to the electronics etc they give it a designation like &ldquo;A&rdquo;, again to signify a change. As there has not been a change to the designation on this lens I would assume that there has not been a change.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]While I don&rsquo;t doubt that this is an excellent lens the design is at least 18 years old and if they reduce the price to less than $1,000, I would seriously consider buying one.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]PS: I would be interested to see what date stamp is on the lenses currently being sold.<o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

True the technology is dated, but there
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I found it. The code reads: UY0918. Decoded it means that my particular copy, purchased from B&amp;H was built:

U - built in Utsunomiya, Japan

Y - 2010

09 - September

18 - Internal manufacturing code, irrelevant to the date.

So my copy was manufactured five months before I purchased it, give or take.

Yep - we
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30