Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faded Images When Uploaded

Faded Images When Uploaded

So my Adobe Lightroom stopped work today, so I only had Photoshop CS4 to use to do my post processing from a shoot today. But for some reason, even though they are set to 8-bit before saving, they keep saving at 24-bit and the images become a bit faded color/contrast wise. It never did this when using Lightroom.

Again, I AM changing them to 8-bit before saving, but when saved they are 24-bit.

Here's what I'm talking about;

*Right Click and view it full size*

The image of the left is what it is supposed to look like, then on the right is what it looks like when I upload it to the web. Please help me as my sister wants these photos soon.

Re: Faded Images When Uploaded

Do a search on color spaces, color management and color managed workflow.

That is basically your problem. It was discusses earlier by a lot of people in various context like help my file looks different on the web or help my print doesnt match my screen or help my program A displays different colors than my program B.

Good luck. There should be enough info on it.

As far as the 8-bit versus 24-bit issue, the 8-bit you're talking about is a per-channel measurement. With RGB being three channels you get the 24-bit PNG specification as far as I understand it. The color space issue is likely where your problem is. You may need to assign the sRGB color space before saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley
    the images become a bit faded color/contrast wise. It never did this when using Lightroom.

To solve this problem, save the image in sRGB space instead of AdobeRGB. If you use "File" -> "Save For Web", it will do this automatically. Another option is to use the "Edit" -> "Convert To Profile" dialog box. To get the best quality, it should be converted to sRGB while in 16-bit, not after conversion to 8-bit.

The reason for the problem is that many computers (including yours) do not have color managed browsers, so they think the image is the default (sRGB) even though it's actually AdobeRGB. This results in faded colors.

I copied the URL to your image (http://www.cubeupload.com/img/b14400img4101.png) and when I view it in my color managed browser, it shows the color correctly. I examined the file to determine for sure that it was AdobeRGB.

Your problem is most likely with Firefox 3.5+

I assume so, as its' the same problem I had, but mine was much worse.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.mode

I set mine to 0 and all my images looked fine in firefox after that, before that they looked HOORRRRRIBLE

Hope that's your problem, it's a known issue.

You just have to edit your about:config and set it to 0, it's probably at 1 or 2

Hope that helps, if not, not too sure.

It's strange, they will only come out correctly if I do it through the "save to web" way. Even if I change to the settings the web save does it, they still come out wrong online.

Thanks for the tip on the "Save to Web", I never thought of using that. [:P] It's just I always do my post processing in Lightroom, then export to CS4 to resize and/or add borders or something, and it never gave me this problem.

Mr. Grimsley,

Another way to avoid this problem is to use sRGB through your entire workflow.

Here is an interesting point of view: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Here is an interesting point of view: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

I'll second that article.

While somewhat biased (somewhat? Ha! The article may as well readDon't Use Adobe RGB!) the points are justified and I personally agree with the point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of photography? One, the critical focus - no problem. There's an autofocus sound preceding each shot; we can avoid blur. Two, the wrong color space, which Garrett-Grimsley was clever enough to discover what that looks like, so in the future we can avoid that too. But what about the R.O.U.S.'s? Rockwell Of Unusual Sillyness?

I don't think he exists.

[] Seriously, although I agree that sRGB is best for novices, Ken's article is full of misleading statements and misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    But what about the R.O.U.S.'s? Rockwell Of Unusual Sillyness?

Beautiful, isn't it? Took me half a lifetime to invent it. I'm sure you've discovered my deep and abiding interest in sRGB. At present, I'm writing the definitive work on the subject, so I want you to be totally honest with me on how Photoshop makes you feel. This being our first try, I'll use thesRGB setting.

[] Seriously, I disagree that Ken's article is full of misleading statements and misinformation. You did read it?

<span style="font-family: Arial;"]1) "<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]sRGB is the world's default color space. Use it and everything looks great everywhere, all the time. "...... this is misleading?

<span style="font-family: Arial;"]2) " If you really know what you're doing and working in publishing, go right ahead and use it. If you have to ask, don't even try it."...... opinionated yes, misinformation, no.

<span style="font-family: Arial;"]3) "Adobe RGB requires special software and painstaking workflow not to screw it up. Make one mistake anyplace and you get dull colors, or worse. You cannot use Adobe RGB on the internet or for email or conventional photo lab printing. If you do, the colors are duller." ....Isn't that what the poster is having trouble with? Painstaking's a little strong but you do need to have special software like Photoshop CS_ with Firefox as your web browser. PS Elements won't cut it and there aren't many if any Windows based editors that support Adobe 1998. So, why in the world do I or the OP really need to use it? There are plenty of people, I'm sure, that somehow leverage all the extra power that's hidden away in Abobe RGB. And that is absolutely grand.

<span style="font-family: Arial;"]Why is it that in order to feel like "pro" shooters we have to follow some technical guideline? I think your statement :
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I agree that sRGB is best for novices
    " is a bit condescending. There are photographers that make their living shooting sRGB jpegs that would never think of using raw much less adobe color. Does that make them novices? Come on Daniel, is everything in your corner of the world so cut and dry?

<span style="font-family: Arial;"]As you Wish.<span>