Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Your Images

Protecting Your Images

There has been a brief discussion in the "Post Your Best Macro" thread about image theft and how to deal with it. I started this thread to carry on the discussion.

We can talk about what to do if you discover a stolen image and how to prevent image theft.

I recently found this http://www.digimarc.com/digimarc-for-images as a possible solution.

So let's hear from anyone with experience in this area. Share your story and solutions.

Here is another interesting article ...... http://microstockinsider.com/guides/...akedown-notice

Thanks for providing the last link, Joel. Very helpful!

Because the original taker of one of my photos has seen removed it upon my request, I have lost the link to the more undesirable sites that took it from that person. I should have written them down but didn't. All it takes is one person snatching up your photo and it's off and running on numerous sites! From what I've seen so far, tumblr users are the worst for this!

I have learned that posting a photo on flickr, puts it up for free grabs, no matter what the flickr site states about copyrights. Live and learn, now I just have to remember to put a logo on all my photos before posting.

As a test, I had my daughter log into flickr and she freely downloaded many of my photos and printed them. I had no way of knowing this or tracking it. I was able to track many of the photos that were taken and posted elsewhere online though.

Here is how ...

Go to your homepage and click on "Your Stats" to the left of "Upload Photo and Video"
    Toward the bottom of the page, right above "Breakdown of your photos and videos", it lists the domain names of places people linked into your flickr site from. Which means they saw a photo of yours on that site, clicked on the photo and was brought to your flickr account. This will only bring you to the first person that used your photo. If it was taken by someone on "tumblr" you have to follow the links on that persons blog to follow the trail of others that took it from them.

Sometimes the viewers are ok and just viewing your photos, which is great but you need to click on some of the domain links to see if your photo is on their website or blog. earth-songs.tumblr.com had my photo but has since taken it down upon my request and has also posted this on her blog "Not my photos. Photographer source given in most. If there is a photo of yours that is being used illegally, please message me and it will be removed." Others that reblogged it from that person still have it and I can't find them now. Photographyblogger is fine because I posted my photo in their group on flickr and they used it in their thread for top tulip photos. Popular Photography magazine used many of my photos for "Photo of the Day" and I didn't know it until I followed their link thru my stats. Which I was thrilled once I saw it but would never have known otherwise.

FYI - Some of the links may just send you in a circle back to your flickr photo. I don't know what that is all about.

I hope this info helps others from falling victim to photo theft!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 06-20-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Good info Denise. I also found a website called TinEye....here (for free) you can enter an image or a URL to an image and it searches the internet for matches.

I tried several of mine from Zenfolio and found nothing .... which makes me think using Zenfolio with a watermark might be good enough or maybe no one likes my stuff enough to steal it

My daughter just told me that she is pretty sure if the original poster on tumblr removes the photo, it is automatically removed from the rebloggers blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Good info Denise. I also found a website called TinEye....
    I've used TinEye in the past, but unfortunately for them Google also does the same thing now (and using Google's clout, they'll probably bury tineye eventually).
    Just go to the google homepage, click 'images', then click the camera icon in the right of the search box, upload your photo, and it'll look for that exact same image elsewhere (and a few that look similar)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Well, not to beat a dead horse by bringing this up again but just thought I would post an update.

I thought putting this statement with my photos on flickr would stop people from stealing them ..."My images are not to be downloaded, printed or used on any website, blog or other media without my permission.
    © All rights reserved"

Well, it didn't do any good! Last week this photo of mine was placed on Tumblr and now all the people reblogging it are giving the original thief credit for the photo!

Here is a link to my photo on flickr if you want to read the comment I have now put exposing the person who stole it. People on flickr are now contacting "handsomedogs" asking her to remove it. If you would like to join the crusade, feel free!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtrocio...hy/7442831128/

This is a link to the tumblr blog that it originally showed up on ...

http://handsomedogs.tumblr.com/post/26139839062

I have contacted a Tumblr "agent" but it hasn't done any good. Whether she gives me credit by allowing the photo to link back to my flickr account is not the point. All the people that are reblogging it and giving her credit for the photo and not acknowleding me whatsoever is very upsetting!

Denise, where is your watermark on the Tumblr shot? Did you recently add it to your Flickr shot, or was it removed by the person who posted it?

I replaced the photo with the watermark after I discovered the photo was on Tumblr and the statement alone didn't work with discouraging people from stealing it.

There is no direct credit to you or anyone else on the tumblr site, however clicking on it brings me to YOUR flickr account. Doesn't look like anyone is trying to steal it, but it would be nicer if they had the standard Flickr link text at the bottom.