Thread: thoughts on 1d MkIII

thoughts on 1d MkIII

Hi everyone -

Penny for your thoughts...

I am happy with 2x XTi bodies right now, and a nice collection of mid-level lenses built around my crop-factor bodies.

However, I have a unquenchable gadget-crush on the 1d MkIII, having played around with it in the store at B&H over the last year. I don't need the larger image size (I think) and would really like the fast cyclic rate for action sports and wildlife shots.

But, I travel a lot and am concerned about a) the "packability" of the larger body, b) the lack of built-in flash (another thing to pack separately), and c) carrying the increased bulk of the body w/vertical grip. I do own a battery-grip for the XTIs now, but find myself using it less and less as I get more into candid walkarounds. Will I regret spending the cash on a big bulky body? How about on a non-full-frame-but-full-size body? Or does the frame rate and build quality make up for it all? :-)

Lastly please advise specifically if you have personal experience with this body + the 400 DO. This is my "dream scenario" right now for wildlife and car races.

Cheers- Isaac

Re: thoughts on 1d MkIII

I can't tell you if you will regret spending 3.7K on a professional body but from what you've typed it sounds to me like a 40D would be a better fit for you than a 1DIII. Tell me if I'm wrong. As for thoughts on the camera--it is the best camera I have ever used let alone owned. AF performance and handling is extraordinary and while frame rate wasn't something I was ever concerned with in the past I'm finding that it is much more useful than I ever thought it would be--at least for me. IQ and ISO performance is right up there as well. As for use with the 400DO, I couldnt tell you since I have never used the combo.

-Matt

Isaac -

A "gadget crush", eh? [] I like the term.
    • I bought a 1D Mk III for sports and I found the higher frame rate well worth it. I'm not a birder, but I would think the same would apply.
    • Travel - well, I travel a lot too, including to Viet Nam, and international travel is a pain. I bought a high quality backpack that carries a body and five lenses, as well as a flash and my laptop. If I carry a second body, I just carry another smaller shoulder bag. For shooting sports events or for PJ work, my Think Tank belt system works wonderfully.
    • Not only is the larger body not a problem, I find I now have trouble using a camera without a grip. I had breakfast with a friend this morning. He is just starting out and his 50D felt like a toy in my hand. You will quickly get used to the heft of the bigger body. I will say, however, that carrying it around the neck is painful for me and I use an UpStrap to carry it on my shoulder.
    • Non-full frame on a full size body. IMHO, unless you do studio work or finely detailed landscapes, you will find the files from the 1:3 crop sensor on the MKIII just fine.
    • However, be prepared to buy more lenses. You may find your mid-level lenses are not quite up to the task on the MKIII. The only non-L lens I use now is the 85 f1.8 and I use that a lot for gym sports. In other words, merely buying the MKIII will not assuage your gadget crush - you will just want more.
    • Flash - I hardly ever use the wink light on my 1:6 crop bodies. They have so little power they're not much good for anything other than fill flash. I keep a 580EX in my kit all the time. A good flash will be another gadget crush for you. []

I don't have any experience with the 400 DO - sorry.

So - - get that MkIII - - you know you need it.

Doug

I have a 1D3 and an XTi. My girlfriend has a 40D. Therefore, I get to play with three 2007-vintage Canon 10.1mp cameras on a regular basis. Let me explain my habits this way:

If I need a camera, I grab my 1D3.

If I want a second camera, I hope that my girlfriend isn't using her 40D, and if not, I take it.

Only if I/we have a use for a third camera do I go find the XTi.

The 1D3 is a fantastic camera, incredibly customizable, responsive, and the pictures are great. The Err99 issues are occasionally a pain (lately I have to turn it on and shoot a frame FAST, or I'll get an Err99 every time), but I haven't tried Roger Cicala's thoughts on easy remedies yet. The AF is still a little suspect. Nonetheless, it's the first camera I grab.

Lens selection can be a bit difficult. Most of the lens line is geared for full frame or EF-S. 24-105 is just not that wide, but EF-S lenses won't work instead. As far as size/weight, I just deal. I had a Minolta 7D and I always used it with a grip except when I'd do 150-mile weekend bicycling events. Chances are the larger body will fit just about any bag you might choose, if it has enough room for your lenses.

I don't think built-in flashes can do high-speed sync, so in my eyes I'm not giving up much without a built-in flash. I don't mind transporting the flash, since I'm usually carrying 1-3 other flashes for off-camera work, but I do get a little tired of dealing with a flash when dangling the camera from a shoulder - I'd rather the camera just rest its hot shoe against me than having to find a comfortable point for the flash to bump me.

No experience with the 400 DO, but it's highest on my "most likely to rent for this summer's sailing trip" list, assuming I can afford the 10-day rental.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.