Thread: Er 99 on Rebel XS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Er 99 on Rebel XS

My just over 2 year-old Rebel XS has started giving me "Er 99" messages. I have cleaned the lens contacts (it happens with different lenses anyway) and tried at different apertures. The camera is able to shoot for about 2-3 minutes, and then the error comes back. If I simply open the memory card door (not even take the card out), it will give me another 2-3 minutes of shooting again. I tried a new memory card to no avail. Any thoughts?

Assuming this needs to go to Canon, I have no idea how much repairs cost (ballpark). Given the age of the camera, would there be other cost-effective options like buying a used body, etc?

Re: Er 99 on Rebel XS

I had this happen to my 450D/Xsi a few year back. Er. 99 is pretty broad error message and could mean almost anything as far as I know. In my case it was an actual broken shutter and I had to send it to Canon for repair. It was under warranty still so I don't know about the costs.

I wasn't able to get any more images after the message so in your case I think you have some more hope. This link has some tips about cleaning the contacts on lenses and the camera body: www.richardsnotes.org/.../50mm-lens-contact-points might be worth a look if you haven't read that already?

If all else fails a used body is probably the cheapest option. Repairing a body without warranty can easily run to $250 or more. But you can always bring/send it to your local authorized repair shop for evaluation (usually they charge around $30-50 if you decide not to repair and if you decide to repair the evaluation is "free" or more precisely it's cost is moved to the actual repairing work I suspect) and see what it would cost to repair the body.

EDIT: Oh and I'm sorry for your situation

Err 99 is a general error code and could mean anything. But you seem to have narrowed it down to the memory card. Blow it out to make sure there is no dust or debris in there obstructing any of the contacts. Make sure it is properly and firmly seated and that the hatch is latching properly.

As long as you didn't drop or submerge you camera it is covered. All you should have to pay is shipping one way to get it to them.
    I had to send mine in once and had it back in exactly 1 week from the day I sent it off.

It

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow

It's over 2 years old. Isn't the warranty 1 year?

Oops, Sorry! yeah it is only 1 year. Unfortunately I don't think they will be able to know how much it will cost you without physically being able to determine the actual problem.