Thread: Two new EF lenses?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Honestly, I was hoping for more mid-priced primes with IS. A 50, 85, 135 & 200 IS primes would make me very happy.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo66 View Post
    Honestly, I was hoping for more mid-priced primes with IS. A 50, 85, 135 & 200 IS primes would make me very happy.
    I hope I am wrong, but I think the response to 24 f/2.8 IS, 28 f/2.8 IS, and 35 f/2 IS release really hurt the potential for future "mid-priced" primes. Canon introduced those at ~$800-$850 and within 6 months to a year had to drop the prices by $200-$300 dollars (20-35%).

It looks like the 35 f/1.4 L II has held its price for about a year. Hopefully that will encourage Canon to release a 135 f/2 II (or 135 f/2 IS), 24 f/1.4 III, etc.

With all the recent releases, it certainly seems like a zoom centric strategy. Best hope is that with these last two zooms, most of the zooms are pretty current, or even if slightly older, still elite (70-200 f/4 IS, etc), perhaps Canon will turn their attention to primes in 2017.

Perhaps, but in a shrinking market, I wonder if Canon will focus on something that is currently non-existent. Some sort of new angle to drive sales. Such as a EF version of Nikons 105 f/1.4? Prosumer zoom out to 600 mm? Of course, I do not know. But it is encouraging that Canon continues to release 3-5 lenses a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Perhaps, but in a shrinking market, I wonder if Canon will focus on something that is currently non-existent. Some sort of new angle to drive sales. Such as a EF version of Nikons 105 f/1.4? Prosumer zoom out to 600 mm? Of course, I do not know. But it is encouraging that Canon continues to release 3-5 lenses a year.
    How about a 400 f/5.6 IS? I would think that updating old lenses would be a potentially profitable market. I can't image someone at Canon thinking.....hmmm the Sigma 50 Art is really kicking our collective asses, let's give up on a good fast prime that isn't a f/1.2. But hey what do I know....
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.