Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D MKIV or 7D MKII

1D MKIV or 7D MKII

I've own a 1D MKII for a few years now, it's never missed a beat, has been a great camera and servant, but it's showing its age, batteries aren't giving me a full days use anymore and the ISO capabilities are causing me the most problems even with my prime lenses, so it's time to upgrade. I photograph Motorsport and Wildlife, so the autofocus and ISO capabilities are important to me. I have a second body which is the 70D, it's a good second, but it's autofocus system doesn't come close to the 1D MKII. My question is, a used 1D MKIV or new/used 7D MKII as a replacement. I've heard that the 7D battery hungry, hence I would probably need a battery grip and battery, I know that the 7D has 4 or 8 point autofocus expansion, but having never really been impressed with the original 7D and I'm not convinced the MKII the way to go, plus it's another 1.6 crop camera, I've liked the 1.3 crop on the 1D, convince me that the 7D MKII the better choice.

The 7D II has more resolution, for wildlife if you are cropping much it is a benefit.
    The 1D IV has a better AF system IMO.
    ISO abilities the 1D IV is a bit better.
    The 7D II is great for video.
    My last trip I had the choice of taking both bodies as backup, and to use for action. I went with the 1D IV over the 7D II.

That said I have been thinking of selling both and upgrading to the 1Dx II. For $2,100 US you could meet me at the local McD's and you could own both. Then sell the one you dislike .

Unfortunately I'm in the UK, tempting offer though

I have owned both cameras.......If you plan to shoot at ISO 800 or lower I would go with the 7D MKII otherwise I would go with the 1D MKIV

I have a 7D, 7D mark II, and a 1Ds mark II. Having used the 1Ds2, I'm not very happy with the images that come from the 7D2. They aren't *bad* exactly. In fact I didn't really notice at first... but I don't really like any of my recent images, and when looking back at my old shots, the images I like are all the 1Ds2 images. My wife used both last week, and yup, 1Ds2 images still have something that's just lacking on the 7D2. I'm with the crowd that is considering selling my 7D2 towards something else... a 5D3, 5D4, 5Ds, or a 1DX.

While I don't know much about the 1DmkIV, but, given the choice to take either body, I'd likely take the 1D4 over the 7D2.

I *think* that there's something about how fine details come across on the 7D bodies that just doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the 1D. Highlights in dog fur come across as more random bright pixels more than anything. It's like the 7D2 pixels are all isolated and independent, whereas the 1Ds2 pixels somehow flow.

See this image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154933...08246/sizes/o/
    vs. this image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154933...23961/sizes/o/

Edit: Just had another thought... I got Lightroom at the same time as the 7D2... it may be Lightroom's handling of the images that I don't like. Looking at earlier 7D images, while they do have some of the "pixel isolation" look, it's not nearly as bad. Whether that's a difference in sensors or Lightroom vs. Photoshop Elements, I'm not sure. I'll have to try re-processing some 7D2 shots with Photoshop CC.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 09-27-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

What about a used 1Dx (the original)? The AF is light-years ahead of the 1D4, and IMHO well ahead of the 7D2 particularly in AI Servo and burst shooting. We used to rent a 7D2 to go along with our (incomplete, at the time) fleet for Alaska cruises, and I just felt like the 7D2 was very wimpy in slightly tough focus conditions.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I accept the 1DX is a great camera and another few steps up from the 1D MKIV but new or used, it's way out of my price range in the UK, an extra grand on top of a mint condition 1D MKIV and would rather spend the extra grand on a lens.

I too, considered recommending a used 1DX but that would be double or more the price of a used 1D MKIV.

IMHO: This is purely anecdotal based on my usage but....I think the AF in 7D MKII is probably a little better than the 1D MKIV but the image quality in general is not as good UNLESS you have really good light.

David, the OP had the 1d II where you had the 1Ds II. I think on equally framed pics I would have probably prefered the 1Ds II as well. The 1D II maybe not.

Joel's opionion is similar to many you see on the net. Many bought the 7D II and feel the AF system was on par or better than the 1D IV. I have seen many others that had my experience. My 1D IV on static objects has a keeper rate over 99% where my 7D II has keeper rate about 95%. On moving subjects the 1D IV beats the 7D II easily. I sent my 7D II in twice to Canon, I did check the rate before I sent it the second time and it was about 91%. I was an early adopter of the 7D II, maybe later versions have better quality control.

B&H has the 1D IV used around $1,700 US. On Ebay the price is less. A used 1Dx would cost twice that.

The 1Ds and 1D are completely different cameras, the 1Ds a full frame camera, the 1D a 1.3x crop primarily aimed a sports photographers, hence why I'm looking at the 1D MKIV or 7D MKII (1.6x crop) rather than the 1Ds MKIII or 5D/6D.