Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Take 2

Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Take 2

Good Morning -

I received my 2nd copy of the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 about 1/2 hour ago. Although it is way too early for me to tell which I prefer. Here's what I've come up with so far ...

The 2nd Sigma copymost definitely does not have the clanking hunting issue going on like my first copy that I mentioned in a previous post.Here is a link to another users same problem ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewle/5198608130/in/pool-1464365@N22

AF is quick but hmmm....not quite as quick as the Canon f/1.8. Although I have not tested it yet on moving subjects yet (my dogs are sleeping but their turn will come). All I have really done in the last 1/2 hour is test the subjects below. If you click on the photos, you can view them better in flickr.

Canon - 1/30, f/2.8, ISO 500

Sigma - 1/30, f/2.8, ISO 500

Canon - 1/40, f/2.8, ISO 500

Sigma - 1/40, f/2.8, 500

Canon - 1/50, f/2.8, ISO 320

Sigma - 1/50, f/2.8, ISO 320

Print Screen of 100% Crop- Canon left, Sigma right

Please let me know your opinions. Or if there are other ways I should be testing these. Also, it might be fair to mention that the Canon has a AF Microadjustment of -3.

Thanks so much!

Denise

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Take 2

Here are a couple more photos. Focus is on the yellow lizards right eye.

1/60, f/2.0, ISO 640

Canon

Sigma

<div></div>

Also, the more I use the Sigma, I am noticing it still does alittle bit of hunting. Much less than the 1st copy but the Canon doesn't do it at all.

Denise

Hi Denise here is my take on your situation.

The light shot is about even quality.

I think the Sigma wins the bottle shot.

The ball shot is about even.

And as posted the Sigma might have the switch shot.

But I think it goes further than that. First off your Canon 85 is a good lens and had been a favourite. But if I remember it is lens you don't use that often any more.

So why buy another 85mm? Well the 85 is primarily a portrait lens and you will have need for a good dedicated portrait lens. So what are the options and differences? The Canon 1.2 will be the best and it should be for the investment of that lens. Is it twice better than the Sigma?

Focus speed goes to the 1.8, with the 1.4 probably a tad quicker than the 1.2.

The Sigma has the 1.4 and is that worth twice as much as the Canon 1.8?

Let's say they are all sharp and work smooth enough for you, then you just have to match your needs or wants for the investment that you are prepared to make and what direction you might think your favoured photographic style might take you.

For me, I have about 5 different 77mm filters already so that suited the Sigma. I wanted 1.4 over 1.8 because for $900 I thought that was pretty good value. And that was the amount of money that I was prepared to invest on a dedicated portrait lens. I have other lens and body options that I am saving for, to buy in 2011. So while I could have gone without a few things andbought the 1.2 at the time, my idea was to redistribute thatextra $1000 and use it next year on something else.

So now you appear to have a good copy of the Sigma[H], is your 85mm needs fulfilled, for now? What other lenses are you thinking about?[*-)]

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Good Morning -

Good evening []

Please let me know your opinions. Or if there are other ways I should be testing these.

It looks to me like both lenses do great. Plus the Sigma seems to have quite good focus accuracy.

One thing though...what is it that you want to achieve with these tests? Seeing which one is better? At f2.8 for example the difference would be very small. Although in your side by side print screen I would have to say that the Sigma looks better to me.

Question: what was the reason for you to buy the Sigma? I assume for the larger aperture? Then test both lenses at max aperture and see what you like. Also compare the Canon to the Sigma, both at f1.8 and see which one performs better. The lens that has the best looking widest aperture that is usable, would be the winner I think? Also try to shoot at lower ISO values.

Of topic: the noise looks quite heavy on your shots. Especially for thoserelativelylow ISO-values. You might want to try "real" ISO values like 100-200-400-800-1600 etc.

Anyway enjoy your lens!

Hi Steve -

The 85mm is one of my favorite and is used a great deal. It is the main lens I use when taking photos of my grandkids. I would most definitely prefer to have the 1.2 but cannot bring myself to spend that much on one lens. I thought the Sigma would be a happy medium but so far I am not convinced it is better than the 1.8 nor worth the additional $500. More use and I will know for sure.

The only lens that I would get anytime soon might be the 135L.

Denise

I think the image quality of the Sigma lens is on par with the Canon lens, but I notice the Sigma underexposes the images in the first set a bit (maybe 1/3 stop or less). Also, I notice the Canon has somewhat a narrower field of view.

In the second set, the images are identical, but I guess it's because both are the same image! (taken with the Canon lens, yes, I did check the EXIF data []).

BTW, nice composition, especially the picture of the hanging lamp!

Hi Carlos -

Thanks for pointing that out! I THINK it is now fixed. I screwed up when I renamed them being in such a hurry to do a comparision.

And yeah, composition is obviously the last thing from my mind when I am just testing lenses for AF, sharpness and contrast.

Thanks for looking ...BTW.

Denise

I agree with the idea to shoot both wide open, and both at f/1.8.

Looking at the bottle shots, the in-focus plane is different - depending on where you were trying to focus, the Sigma needs AFMA or the Canon needs to be re-AFMA'd. With the Canon the numbers under the barcode are sharp, with the Sigma the words above the barcode seem in focus but less sharp, but they seem less sharp (but they're on a curve, too).

...I am just testing lenses for AF, sharpness and contrast.

It's a bad idea to test all of those at once. If the AF of one lens is off (i.e. needs AFMA), it will look less sharp than another lens with accurate AF, even if the more accurately-focusing lens is actually less sharp. So, to test for sharpness and contrast, use Live View and 10x magnification to focus on the same spot with each lens. Test AF performance separately (ideally, after AFMA).

The 85mm is one of my favorite and is used a great deal. It is the main lens I use when taking photos of my grandkids.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sorry memory not as good as it once was.

More use and I will know for sure.

Yeah, it is probably time to stop doing comparisons between the 1.4 and the 1.8 and just go and shoot away with the 1.4. See if you like the feel and the weight and the benefit of the 1.4. You already have the 35mm so you know how thin it is at 1.4. Then check the results. With the 1.8 being one of your favourite lenses it will be a big job for the 1.4.

I rented the 85 1.2 and the 50 1.2, I have never used the 85 1.8 so when I reflected on the results for me the Sigma1.4 won very easily for the amount of money it cost.

The only lens that I would get anytime soon might be the 135L.

I would like to get the 135mm as well, but I am still considering the 50 or a 35mm. But I am very interested in that new Zeiss 35 1.4 that is released in February, I think that could be a killer lens.

Happy shooting.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Looking at the bottle shots, the in-focus plane is different - depending on where you were trying to focus, the Sigma needs AFMA or the Canon needs to be re-AFMA'd. With the Canon the numbers under the barcode are sharp, with the Sigma the words above the barcode seem in focus but less sharp, but they seem less sharp (but they're on a curve, too).

I saw this one too. And I'm not sure what the odds are, but it seems to me like she used centre point focus for this one. In that case the Sigma would be better than the Canon if you ask me [A]