Thread: What Do you think of this??? New 300 f4 IS

What Do you think of this??? New 300 f4 IS

I know it is not a rumors site, but I have never had someone tell me point blank what's up. I called Canon service about fixing one of my lenses the other day and mentioned that I was thinking of purchasing a 300mm f4 IS. He said that a new one is being announced in July and it will have a pretty good sized price hike, but should be super sharp like the other new glass out. Has anyone else had an issue where they would just offer up information like that??? I thought everything was usually hush hush about stuff like that.

Re: What Do you think of this??? New 300 f4 IS

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson
    I thought everything was usually hush hush about stuff like that.

I thought so, too. I'd assume it's unlikely a Canon service rep would have any real information (other than personal speculation) about forthcoming releases, but you never know. Internal corporate rumors are sometimes pretty accurate, and the lower-downs generally don't have the same inhibitions about sharing knowledge outside as the higher-ups (which is why the higher-ups try very hard to keep that information from the lower-downs).

But, a 300mm f/4L IS II would be almost as welcome as a new 400mm f/5.6L IS...

He may have been talking about the new 300 f/2.8 IS II because that lens is due to come out in the next few months
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

I think Mike might have it right, I think this site mentioned there would be no more new stuff anniunced until some of the old new stuff that has been delivered was available to buy.

The new 120-300mm f/2.8 OS Sigma is available for pre-order from B&H, that might hurry things along and spice up the competition.

And I think the 400mm f/5.6 IS would be the most needed update.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur