Thread: Need assistance & advice on my lens choices.....

Need assistance & advice on my lens choices.....

Hi! I definitely need a hand here. I managed to save money & would like to invest on one of the lenses listed below. Which one would be the best choice based on my gear? I am trying to look into a possible 35L,50L, or an 85L as well. Are any of the Zeiss lenses below worth investing? BTW, I'm on a 40D.

Advices urgently needed.

*Distagon 2.8/21mm ZE

*Distagon 2/35mm ZE

*Makro Planar 2/50mm ZE

*Planar 1.4/50mm ZE

Re: Need assistance & advice on my lens choices.....

Zeiss lenses are manual focus only, I believe. What I do know is that you are paying a HUGE premium for extra build and optical quality with a Zeiss lens. I'd stick with Canon.

The 85L and 50L and specialty lenses, don't expect to use them for general purpose. Remember that on a 40d you are throwing away 60% of the advantage of one of these lenses due to the crop factor.

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by sirhc_1

Hi! I definitely need a hand here. I managed to save money & would like to invest on one of the lenses listed below. Which one would be the best choice based on my gear? I am trying to look into a possible 35L,50L, or an 85L as well. Are any of the Zeiss lenses below worth investing? BTW, I'm on a 40D.

Advices urgently needed.

I think the first thing to consider is your subject matter. What will you be shooting?Also, what lenses do you currently use?

If you are looking for a great portrait lens, the 85 L is it. You will be amazed with what you can do with f/1.2. If you are looking for a more general purpose lens, you may want to consider the 35mm or 50mm lenses.

Here's an option: If you want 2 lenses, I would suggest you take a look at the 50mm f/1.4 and the 35mm f/1.4 in combination. The total cost for both of these lenses comes to about $1710 USD, about $240 less than the price of the f/1.2 at B&H ($1950 USD).

This can offer you two fast prime lenses (f/1.4) and two great focal lengths to have in your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    Zeiss lenses are manual focus only, I believe. What I do know is that you are paying a HUGE premium for extra build and optical quality with a Zeiss lens. I'd stick with Canon.

So does that mean that the Zeiss 50mm's are a bit superior to Canon's 50mm line up optically if you set aside being manual focus lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    The 85L and 50L and specialty lenses, don't expect to use them for general purpose. Remember that on a 40d you are throwing away 60% of the advantage of one of these lenses due to the crop factor.

Are suggesting to give the Distagon 2/35 and the 35L a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    what lenses do you currently use?

I do have a Canon 50mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L. I also have a couple more of M42 screw mount lenses like the 35 2.8, 50 1.8, & a 135 2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    If you are looking for a great portrait lens, the 85 L is it. You will be amazed with what you can do with f/1.2. If you are looking for a more general purpose lens, you may want to consider the 35mm or 50mm lenses.

I would like to try the 85L but it seems a bit too tight due to the crop factor on my 40D as I already own an 85 1.8. I would like to try the 50mm 1.4 but I've read some posts that the AF motor is not as durable as the ring type USM. Many have reported that the motor has given up on them or the focus ring getting stuck.

RE: Zeiss lenses

Should I give the legendary Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21 a try? Is it appealing on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor? What's your insight regarding the rest of the Zeiss lenses as mentioned above? I dont mind if its manual focus only but what I do know is that it enables the AF confirmation on Canon bodies. I also use an Ef-S focusing screen.