Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how is this look achived ?

how is this look achived ?

Hi,

Guys can u help me how below look is achieved, I knw its shot at 85mm 1.2, but at 200 of sec...i guess pic bacg ground shoud have come more bright as thsi was shot at bright noon 1;14am

www.flickr.com/photos/sandeepkhade/7731 … /contacts/

model is exposed by strobe hitting from top right...

Need to know below things:-

I know lots of layers/curves/gradients/ must be used..but after all that how does one get normal skin tones..

this below pics shot same day same location at same setting but background over exposed...so I am sure lot of photoshop..

www.flickr.com/photos/sandeepkhade/7727 … /in/pho...

looking forward for an postive revert

Robin Saini
    www.Facebook.com/RobinSainiPhotography

I don't know about the specific post processing, but you can get an underexposed, blurred background even under bright conditions by using an ND filter and [relatively] powerful strobes.

It was a very bright, hot summer morning around 11am when I took this shot:

Canon 5D Mark II
    Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 L
    f/3.5, 1/160, ISO 100
    w/ Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo variable ND filter and polarizer

Kailey Sue Fan 1 by budrowilson, on Flickr

Setup shot:

Kailey Sue Hilltop Setup by budrowilson, on Flickr

As far as the post processing questions, I'll have to leave those up to someone else.

just a quick search on google and it popped up a ton of PS actions that I bet this person uses. It just looks like a retro look that is kind of washed out. Here's an example of the look...SX-70. I don't know the exact PP that goes into this, but then again I am not a big fan. It reminds me of instagram.

Robin, welcome;

Which picture are you refering to. When I hit that link it just opens up the stream of four pictures.

I've been able to recreate this look using curves, desaturation, and color fill layers of blue and magenta at different blending modes. I'll show you an example when I get back to my home computer.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Sean, you have an old school 28-70 2.8? Nice.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    Sean, you have an old school 28-70 2.8? Nice.
    Yep. I picked it up because I needed a good general purpose lens to go with the 5D Mark II. I monitored the going prices of used 24-70s, but soon realized the price range for that particular lens was out of my budget. I started looking into alternatives, and decided the 28-70 would be a fine choice for me. I found a good copy on eBay with a reasonable BIN price; its date code puts it at the last year of production, it's in nearly pristine condition, and I couldn't be happier with it. I just used it again for yesterday evening's shoot...

This is what I was talking about.

Before

Untitled by johnstondox, on Flickr

After

Untitled by johnstondox, on Flickr

You lose some contrast with it, and I am not a huge fan of this style, but I have found that certain customers want it, so I tried my best to meet the needs of the buyers if you know what I mean.

Dave.

When you click the links the OP gave it takes you to the picture owners photostream. As the owner posts different photo's you can't be sure which he is talking about. When I first clicked the links the first picture in the series was of a girl holding a rope with a fogged look in the background.

While I am not expert on lighting, far from it, I have taken many pictures inside of an arboretum / greenhouse. The look of the photo I saw looks just like the effect you would get inside of an arboretum, diffused light and softness. I would have guessed that it was shot inside if I were guessing. If you look at the landscaping in the picture, it looks more like what you would see in an inside garden. If this really is an effect he created in photoshop, I would be curious how.

Am I looking at the wrong picture, and am I even talking about what the OP was wanting explained?
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 08-11-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Looks like a mix of cross processing (a certain type of curves adjustment to simulate processing film with chemicals meant for a different film), and reduced contrast. In this case it looks like the blue was reduced quite a bit, and the red increased (notice the shutters and windows).

I'll try playing around and see if I can reproduce something similar. If I succeed, I'll post a pic of my curves adjustments.

edit: Or not. As that's your sample of processing, so you know exactly how you got it.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 08-11-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: I don't read, apparently. :)