I need some help...

I am thinking of buying some filters, one of them circular polarizer, and some hoods.

I currently have the following lenses for my Canon 40D:

17-85 IS

50 f/1.4

70-200 f/4 IS

I will be getting 10-22 mm sometime in the near future and perhaps replace 17-85 with something brighter, but honestly, this one I have is very good and I do not have much need to change it. I do not use it as ofter. Most of the time indoor I use 50 f/1.4 and outdoor 70-200, or both and I could use the wider lens to experiment when I get better.

As you can see, all of these lenses require (at least to my knowledge) different hoods and different filter sizes. I have read that you could buy something that would allow filter to step up from smaller size lens to largest, but would that then work with the hoods that come standard with the lenses I have (I have some of the ones that were recommended for my lenses but I could replace them with other if that was necessary, I just do not know how that is supposed to work). I also got the typical L disease and I will be probably getting some L lenses in the future, so I understand that my best bet would be to go for 77 mm filters. So what do I do? Do I get different filters for each lens and different hood for each of them or is there a compromise or some way this could all work with one filter, step up ring and fewer hoods than gazillion that would fit over existing lenses with those filters with step up on? I hope I explained it clearly, I am really just learning, so please excuse if I am not very precise...

Also, Brian recommends B+W. Are those the filters most of you use? I would like to buy really good ones and I am willing to spend my $$$ on them, maybe not all at once, but I am pretty commited to quality. Thanks for all your help guys.