Page 301 of 397 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 3961

Thread: Post your best current shots

Sampsa - Yes I'd be happy to jot down my learnings from aurora photography. I'll start a separate thread and cover off the major points that I have discovered along the way. Lapland should be an excellent place for viewing!

Here is a shot from yesterday. In the Rockies, the larch trees turn gold during September and eventually lose their needles (I think they are the only coniferous trees that do this). It makes for a wonderful show, and we always look for new places to see them. You generally need to hike above 2000 metres in elevation (which is about 500 metres above grade) to see them.

Went on another hike today to view the larch trees at their peak colour. What a difference a few days makes... temperature of -4 C and plenty of fresh snow! I used a two-shot HDR to capture this view of Eiffel Lake, near Lake Louise in Banff National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Here is a shot from yesterday. In the Rockies, the larch trees turn gold during September and eventually lose their needles (I think they are the only coniferous trees that do this). It makes for a wonderful show, and we always look for new places to see them. You generally need to hike above 2000 metres in elevation (which is about 500 metres above grade) to see them.
    I think you're right, they are the only coniferous to lose their needles, at least in Europe. We have a lot of larches in our mountains and some tourists think they are sick. Our larches are turning gold and then orange a bit later than yours though, so we still have to wait for about a month before we can see this happen. I'm already looking forward to this, as it provides some of the most spectacular views of the year.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    I think you're right, they are the only coniferous to lose their needles, at least in Europe. We have a lot of larches in our mountains and some tourists think they are sick. Our larches are turning gold and then orange a bit later than yours though, so we still have to wait for about a month before we can see this happen. I'm already looking forward to this, as it provides some of the most spectacular views of the year.

Bald cypress down in the swamps in the south also loose their needles. (there are a few other conifers that also do this) I think all the conifers that do this are pretty unique and neat to see.

Great shots of the Larches though. I really love the first one.

We just call them Tamaracks, beautiful in the fall, but they are a larch too.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.

BTW...beautiful shots of the Tamarack/Larch Jonathan.

Here is a waterfall shot I liked. Taken on Cascades trail in the White Mountains, New Hampshire.

small-6679 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I oscillate between this shot and the one I posted in the Weekly assignment for which I like best.

Thanks for viewing...
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-26-2013 at 11:42 AM.

A little unnatural in habitat, but here's a Cave Salamander from last night.

My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Icarus

Mark - Flickr

Great shot Mark....what were your settings?

Thanks. ISO 100, f11, 1/1000. 6D and 100L macro.

Mostly a lucky shot. I was tracking him as he flew overhead and didn't see the sun coming up until it nearly blinded me in the viewfinder.
    Mark - Flickr