Thread: Shooting Model Helis... Critique Some of My Shots

Shooting Model Helis... Critique Some of My Shots

Most of what shoot at the moment is model helicopters, besides a few other jobs on the side. They provide an interesting photographic challenge since they are (relatively) small and move very quickly. Take a look at some of my pictures and tell me what I can do better.

Thanks.

Re: Shooting Model Helis... Critique Some of My Shots

Man, you make me want to buy toys!

I like the upside down one right next to the ground. Do the rotors go backwards?

I also like the one with the upside down one with the blades almost parallel to the mountain in the background.

Constructively, I'd say to be aware of what's in the background. I realize you're not in control of that, much of the time, but if they take requests, you can ask them to fly higher, or you can try to get under them, if trees or brush are distracting from the lines. I have similar issues with my kids' motorized Dragonfly and kites.

If you can open up the aperture a little more, it might help, but if you can't, well, what can you do?

Thanks.

The rotors don't actually go backwards, but the pitch on the blades change allowing the heli to fly upside down.

Regarding the background, I really just have to take what I was given. Most of the shots that had a more pleasing background were either blurry our un-croppable. Unfortunately this was at a competition so I could not get requests at the time. However, I am going to another event in Huntsville Alabama this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to put your recommendation to good use. Those shots were with the 70-200 f2.8 BTW. The only reason why I didn't open up the apeture more was I like to have the blurred blades, but you can't really get that until you're at a 1/500 shutter speed at least.

emag remrofni,

Any chance you could add an ND filter? On sunny days it would allow you to open the aperture and still keep the shutter speed where you need it.

You have an interesting set of issues to deal with here, you need a fast shutter, but not too fast! Usually we complain about not enough light, but almost never about too much light. I'd be very interested in hearing what you end up with as a solution.

David McKinny