Thread: Recommended wide angle primes for video on a Glidecam system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recommended wide angle primes for video on a Glidecam system

Hi all, Greetings from Canada.
    I have a Canon 5D Markiii on an HD2000 Glidecam system with the Smoothshooter vest and arm.
    At present I'm using the system with a Canon 16-35 L II lens. Even though this is amazing glass, it is rather heavy for use on a steadicam type system.
    I'm considering switching over to the new 28mm IS or the new 35mm IS soon to be released on June 17th.
    Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Hi OverExposed, greetings from Spain.

I don't think your 16-35mm it's that heavy. In my experience with an 24-105 mm (about the same weight) and the Glidecam HD2000 (without arm), the more you practice the lighter it feels. Maybe it would be wiser keep using your lens for a certain period.

Nevertheless, if you are going to primes, keep in mind that focusing it's very difficult in a steadycam (for me, nearly impossible). As you probably already knows, sometimes you need more DOF than a 35mm can provide.

Finally, recording video with the Glidecam, I didn't see any difference between IS and no IS.

Any time that a person is considering a prime lens it is usually best for them to look at the work they have done in the past to see what focal length(s) they have been using the most. For the other focal lengths are they planning to keep their current lens(es)? Would they be able to move in or out to change the distance to the subject for better framing? For the best IQ obtainable primes are usually the way to go, but there are zoom lenses out there with excellent IQ as well that rival or exceed some primes in all areas except aperture. The tradeoffs frequently come down to choosing between versatility, aperture, and IQ.

Having no idea of how your usage of the current zoom focal length range has worked out, it is difficult to suggest one prime over another. If you are looking at primes for weight savings during video shooting I'd think that you might want to look at MF primes. Videographers seldom use an AF system during their shoots. If you choose this route and the 35mm lens is the best choice based on your prior work, then you may want to consider the Samyang 35mm which is a LOT of IQ for very little money.