Thread: Need quick Canon 70d advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The T5i will take fine pictures, the 70d has a newer sensor and a few more features. The 7D II a even a few more.
    I do not have a 70d, but bought the wife a T4i and I have a 7D II. I think any of the three models would be a good upgrade for you.
    It comes down to your budget, experience and what you are expecting of the hobby.
    For instance the wife, and most people for that matter, would be very happy with those lenses and a t5i.
    On the other hand I would want a full frame body, the highest quality lenses and the best AF system available.

So how much you want to spend, and how much does the hobby mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The T5i will take fine pictures, the 70d has a newer sensor and a few more features. The 7D II a even a few more.
    I do not have a 70d, but bought the wife a T4i and I have a 7D II. I think any of the three models would be a good upgrade for you.
    It comes down to your budget, experience and what you are expecting of the hobby.
    For instance the wife, and most people for that matter, would be very happy with those lenses and a t5i.
    On the other hand I would want a full frame body, the highest quality lenses and the best AF system available.

So how much you want to spend, and how much does the hobby mean to you?
    Hello Sir.... I have about $1200.00 on hand at the moment... and being retired... don't want to make a purchase error.... also wonder about the 7D II ... you mentioned you have one. How do you like it? I've read it's built like a tank.... has more focus points, ... but IQ not much better than the 70d. ???? Also, .. in reality, .. what IS THE SCOOP about focus points??? Does more get better photos? I am often asked to take shots of groups at church... and was hoping more points would do a better job. I usually had HORRIBLE results, .. and a very tough time getting several faces in groups to all be clear. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Silkylead View Post
    Hello Sir.... I have about $1200.00 on hand at the moment... and being retired... don't want to make a purchase error.... also wonder about the 7D II ... you mentioned you have one. How do you like it? I've read it's built like a tank.... has more focus points, ... but IQ not much better than the 70d. ???? Also, .. in reality, .. what IS THE SCOOP about focus points??? Does more get better photos? I am often asked to take shots of groups at church... and was hoping more points would do a better job. I usually had HORRIBLE results, .. and a very tough time getting several faces in groups to all be clear. Thanks so much
    I like the 7D II, but I like my full frame cameras more.

The 7D II has a better AF system than the 70D, would it benefit you? If I were taking pictures of groups at church maybe not. I would probably be using single shot single point AF mode and using only the center point. I would only need 1 point not 65.

Some people use the multiple points rather than focus and recompose. (focus and recompose where you hold the shutter half way, make focus at your subject and then move your view to your liking before you click) You can toggle the AF point to where you like using single point.

If however you are shooting moving objects all the time it would probably help.
    The 7D II is weather sealed, but with the lenses you have that probably isn't going to matter. You are probably not shooting in the rain.
    The 7D II does not have the flip screen and it doesn't have touch screen.
    It is geared toward Action and Sports with its high frame rate and AF system.

Someone said the 70d could do a Auto Focus Adjustment for lenses. This would be important for me but for most consumers it would be beyond what they would normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkylead View Post
    I am often asked to take shots of groups at church... and was hoping more points would do a better job. I usually had HORRIBLE results, .. and a very tough time getting several faces in groups to all be clear. Thanks so much
    Sounds more like a depth of field issue than a focus issue. Use a larger aperture on your widest lens setting. (15mm at f/4 10' from subject gives you infinity)
    Here is a DOF calculator

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The few hundred dollars for the 70D over the t5i will give you a 4 or 5 year newer sensor.

All three of these have excellent live view shooting (using the screen to focus) and video modes. With the 70D and t5i you get a flip screen that really helps.