Thread: Rechargable batteries for Canon Speedlights?

Rechargable batteries for Canon Speedlights?

I've got two 430EXs that I use with a ST-E2. I've read in a few places that NiMH is the way to go for flash use. So, I've been using rechargeable AA "NoMEM 2000mAh Nickle Metal-Hydride" Batteries, I got on newegg.com as a part of a package deal a couple of years ago, with my 430EXs. I just picked up some "Energizer Rechargeable 2500mAh Nickle Metal-Hydride" batteries at Wal-Mart.

Is there an appreciable difference in these ****mAh ratings? I didn't realize they had ratings untilI got to looking at these.

Is there an appreciable difference in brands? I remember Consumer Reports had an article some years ago stating that all Heavy Duty batteries were basically the same and all Alkaline Batteries are basically the same.

T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: Rechargable batteries for Canon Speedlights?

The more mAh, the longer they lastbetween recharging, and the longer they take tofully charge.

It is very important notto mix different brands(even withsamemAh) in one device, otherwise sooner or later theymay leak and mess up your gear. I learned this the hard way...

BTW, ST-E2 + 2x430EX = good stuff []

Well, there is a bit of difference. I have a few "Precision" brand NiMH that are 2900 mAh. I typically have used the Energizer 2500 mAh that you speak of. I've had good luck with those. As long as you get over 2000 mAh you're going to be pretty good. The higher, the longer lasting.

Also, cheap brands are like any other cheap brands I'd guess. Even if they have a high rating, if they are cheap, you get what you pay for. I have some of those Sanyo batteries, I think they are called enerloop and they are pretty fantastic.

Some of my "Precision" batteries haven't seemed to handle the test of time, even close to the Sanyo or Energizers.

So, take that all for what it's worth!

I was using Eveready 2500 mAh NiMH AA's for my Speedlites and had crappy results. With two new sets of batteries, fully charged after 9 hours, I was getting only around 25-30 shots before they died.

I posted my disappointment on this forum and was given great advice to buy Sanyo Eneloops. They are only rated for 2000 mAh but they come precharged. My first set right out of the package lasted over 100 shots. You can get them at Costco.

Oh, get the Energizer 15 minute charger. You will not regret it!! Comes with a car charger. In 20 minutes, brand new batteries!

I've never owned a set of Eneloops but they are all the rage on the strobist forums (and those guys are pretty serious about their batteries). Duracell just came out with some similar pre-charged batteries that I do own (I have two sets of 4). They're very nice because they don't loose their charge nearly as fast as normal NiMH batteries.

The problem with normal NiMH batteries is that you might use them for 20-30 shots, then put them up. But by the time you use them again, they might have lost 20% of their remaining charge (or about 1.5% a day). The Eneloops (and Duracell pre-charged) will lose their charge at a much slower rate, therefore many people prefer to use them. They're especially great to keep as a backup set of rechargeable batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by EdN

I was using Eveready 2500 mAh NiMH AA's for my Speedlites and had crappy results. With two new sets of batteries, fully charged after 9 hours, I was getting only around 25-30 shots before they died.

I posted my disappointment on this forum and was given great advice to buy Sanyo Eneloops. They are only rated for 2000 mAh but they come precharged. My first set right out of the package lasted over 100 shots. You can get them at Costco.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes, the Eneloop! Like he said they are only 2000 mAh, but they will outlast your generic brands hands down. I have a 580ex II, coupled with a 50D. Durring quick bursts, those batteries have the flash going 6 fps right along....it doesn't last, but I'll still get a few bursts of 5 or 6 before it starts skipping every other. I'd put the Eneloops on the highly recommended list.

I use these in my 580ex ii with a 5D mark ii, they are about &pound;1.50 each on amazon: <span id="btAsinTitle"]Duracell Supreme AA 2650mAh, and they work very nicely.

NiMH is the way to go for flash batteries. For flashes, NiMH has a faster recharge rate than alkalines, and if I remember correctly NiMH has a lower memory effect than NiCd. Lithium ion batteries would need so much electronics and different chargers that I don't suspect they'll become cost-effective for flashes for a long time.

Because a flash draws power from the battery in a manner much different than a flashlight or FM radio, the mAh (milliamp-hour) rating is a suggestion of how many flash pops you'll get from a set of freshly-charged batteries when fired at an optimum rate/intensity, with higher being better. Since our Canon flashes don't have a specific low-battery indicator, most of us want more flashes rather than less, extending the time between battery changes.

All that said, I make two suggestions: Sanyo Eneloop (as others have said), and the La Crosse BC-700 charger. The La Crosse chargers (available at Amazon) will tell you how many mAh were needed to return each battery to full, voltage at any point during the charge process, etc. They can cycle batteries down fully before recharging, can recycle batteries until their output is consistent, and can charge/discharge/recharge ("test") batteries as well. My advice? Get one of these chargers, and run all of your batteries through the discharge/refresh cycle (expect this to take 3-5 days per set). I pitch any battery sets (I keep mine as foursomes all the time, and they're labeled as such) if any battery can't deliver at least 1900 mAh. After six months of use, ALL of my Eneloops are registering 1950-2050. All of my other batteries (rated at 2900mAh) are showing 2100-2300, with wild variations within sets.

I have 8 sets of B&amp;H Impact 2900mAh batteries, and I hate them. I have 12 sets of Eneloops, and I love them. I have two BC-700 chargers and two BC-900 chargers, and I love them (but the BC-900s are overpriced and unneeded).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.