Thread: Vacation Camera

Vacation Camera

I need recommendations for equipment for vacation.

I am NOT taking my Canon SLRs to the beach and on the water.

Possibly I need a point and shoot.

I think I want to stay with Canon but not absolute.

Possibly some snorkeling possibilities and underwater.

IDEAS.??? I have no idea where to start with point and shoots

Canon has a site for underwater photography, but it is directed towards camera housings

usa.canon.com/.../underwater_photo

Re: Vacation Camera

I recommend (and use) the Canon S95 as a convenient, take anywhere camera. It's small (tiny, actually - fits easily in a pocket when wearing shorts or pants) but has a large sensor for a P&S (same as the G12), plus an f/2 lens (at the wide end, at least) so it does well in low light. Importantly, it shoots in RAW so I have more freedom in post (and DxO has a module for it). The Canon waterproof housing for the S95 is quite inexpensive as camera-specific housings go.

Thanks I will check it our.

Quote Originally Posted by iND
    I am NOT taking my Canon SLRs to the beach and on the water.

Definitely not! You should take your Nikon SLR instead. []

I agree with Neuro on this. Although I don't have one myself, My brother and a friend of mine both have the S95, and I have borrowed theirs every now and then. It has a good sensor with relatively little noise on high ISO (at least compared with other point and shoot cameras), and you have a lot of advanced settings if you want to go beyond the typical point and shoot type of photography. And it is quite small, which I guess is important.

Lars

I have an older Canon Point and Shoot with the underwater housing. It is very portable (fits in my jeans pockets easily). I have treated rough and it keeps going. A great vacation camera and great for high risk shots where if the camera does not survive I am not overly disappointed (IE: used while cliff diving).

The S95 is nice but it does come in at a high price for vacation camera that could be lost or destroyed. The Canon SD4500 is nice too and is almost half the price of the S95.

The S95 has to be my favourite of all the point and shoots out there, but if you find you need a little more reach (or a lot more) I would check out the Panasonic ZS8 or ZS10. The two are essentially the same, with differing sensors (the 10 also has a GPS chip, touch screen, and other gimicky things).

The ZS8

I will add a plus +1 to the venerable s95. I always have it in my pocket, while on vacation, or otherwise. Single best pocket cam to date. Or you could wait for the s100 rumor, which is rumored to replace the s95. For a really cheapie though, I would go the s90 used for 200 bucks. Even less on a good day.