Thread: Saving large files as JPEG

Saving large files as JPEG

Hey everybody. Quick question for all of you. I am using CS3 and normally shoot in raw. When I do this, I always open in camera raw and then save under "save for web or mobile device" so that I can save as a full size jpeg. Recently, I was using my friend's 7d, which has a much larger file size compared to my rebel xt. I tried to open some images (jpeg) in camera raw, and then save the final edits as a jpeg, but for some reason that isn't an option. The default format is PSD. This isn't a huge problem for my xt, but I am looking at getting a 5dmkII in a few months which would have even larger files. Do any of you know how I can save a jpeg that was opened in camera raw as a jpeg again?

Thanks in advance,

~Mike~

Re: Saving large files as JPEG

Since the 7D is one of the newest Canon cameras, the RAW format it produces may not be supported by the Camera RAW version you have. Try updating the software to the newest version if you can. If not, use Digital Photo Professional to save the files into jpeg, then open them in CS3 for editing.

My guess is that PS is opening the file in 16 bit mode, which JPEG won't support. You need to knock it down to 8 bits before you can save it as a jpg. Click on Image -> Mode -> 8 Bits/Channel. Also make sure the image in flattened.

Sean is correct, PS3 camera raw will not support the 50D or the 7D files. You must upgrade to CS4 or use other software such as DPP or convert to DNG files. I found this out the hard way after I purchased my 50 D. I don't recall the release date for the 5DII, but it may have the same problem.
    Bob

Ah that sucks that I will need CS4. Normally with the xt it isn't a problem because I have enough scratch memory to save for web and devices. Even with the xt though, I can't normally just do "save as" and select a jpeg format. Maybe I will need to switch back to 8-bit in raw, but I was told that that method doesn't allow you to work with as much detail because you aren't really getting the whole image.