Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review

Discuss theCanon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review- Tell us what you think of theCanon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera.

Re: Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review

As usual, another informative and insightful review, Bryan - thank you very much. My own copy of the 7D should be arriving today, that'll give me a chance to look at it firsthand. As you might expect, I'm excited. []

Not far into the review yet, but I appreciate the noise charts requiring a click. It was always a pain to compare two non-adjacent options before, forcing you to attempt to weave in and out of the links. I hope you keep the click format for future reviews.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Not far into the review yet, but I appreciate the noise charts requiring a click. It was always a pain to compare two non-adjacent options before, forcing you to attempt to weave in and out of the links. I hope you keep the click format for future reviews.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree with the usefulness of click navigation. Much easier to use.

I've had my 7D copy for several weeks now and i can't seem to put it down. Coming from a 40D one of the most noticeable improvements to me is the Auto White Balance and how well built this body is. I will be going to Paris for my honeymoon next week so that will be my biggest test. I will try to post some pics up.

I'm so glad i chose Canon, where do Nikon people go for reviews like these? I've yet to find anywhere on the web that has reviews even close to as in-depth and accurate as yours Bryan, thanks!!!!

great review. I've been holding off upgrading for some time now. Still using a Rebel XT and a borrowed 5D. I really wanted this to be the camera to upgrade from the XT but with image quality, it's a tough choice between the 7D and 50D considering the price difference. I also feel that the majority of these improvements will probably end up in the 60D at a lower price point in a couple months.

One has to wonder what the 7D could have been like with 10-14mp and the noise control of the 5D.

The 5D's "noise control" is primarily a larger sensor which is inherently less noisy. In a crop body, to get 18 mpx and comparatively low noise is quite an achievement. Plus, what the review points out is that the 7D outresolves the 50D but needs a bit more sharpening to produce an image that looks as sharp. Most people have no clue about the difference between resolution and sharpness. If the resolution is there, I can sharpen anything to taste.

Beyond the IQ, the 7D has much more features and much more sophisticated capabilities in terms of Auto ISO, Auto White Balance, AF, AE, viewfinder, fps, etc. The 7D is much more like a baby 1D series than a more capable XXD.

Jim

Excellent review. They just keep getting better.

I admit, I looked up "Horizon-Level Deficiency" to see if it was a real medical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen
    One has to wonder what the 7D could have been like with 10-14mp and the noise control of the 5D.

But the 7D does have have the noise control of the 5D2. Try this: crop the 5D2 down to the same size as the 7D (1.6X), then compare noise with the 7D. You'll find they are the same. The only difference is that the 7D provides 18 MP whereas the cropped-5D2 only gives you 8 MP. The only advantage of the 5D2 is that it is larger. If the 7D were full frame (46 MP), it would have the same noise control as the 5D2.

So not only did Canon deliver the same performance as the 5D2, but they did it with pixels that have over two times less area.