Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filters: how cheap can I go?

Filters: how cheap can I go?

Background: I pooled my money, borrowed some from my parents, and sold my soul to an Indian restaurant for the rest of summer to get my hands on a 70-200 f/4L. (They only have me working one night a week ): )

Dilemma: It'd be foolish not to protect that investment with a UV filter. (I'm a believer in the UV on at all times philosophy, but lets not discuss that here and now). I've heard that low quality filters degrade IQ. That being said, I don't want that to be the case on my first L lens. I want good glass in front of the great glass. But how cheap is too cheap in the realm of filters? I know many swear by B+W filters which is great, if you can afford them. I can't afford a $70 or even $50 filter at the time. (Saving for a flash kit next). The max I can go is about $30.

There's a B+W UV Haze filter here, for about $30. But what's the trade off? IQ? Functionality?

Basically, I'm looking for a UV filter that enhances the pictures, without degrading IQ all that much. (I've never noticed IQ loss even with the standard Tiffen "UV protector" filter that Adorama gave me with the nifty fifty, but then again, I've never tested extensively).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rodger

Re: Filters: how cheap can I go?

The more expensive UV Haze filters are usually MRC (or have Multi-Resistant Coatings in other words), slim, extra wide, or else are specialized in some other way. With your budget, I'd say get the one you referenced. There's nothing wrong with it in the slightest. The MRC filters are great, but it's not necessary.

anybody want some 77mm non-MRC B+W filters?

I've got a few I don't need in the foreseeable future.

for free ? sure! lol jk jk

for free ? sure! lol jk jk

Yeah, actually.

You can send me something back, if you want... []

Alright I will probably go with the one I linked to here.

haha Colin, if I ever have something of interest to you, I'll let you know and send it you way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    There's a B+W UV Haze filter here, for about $30. But what's the trade off? IQ? Functionality?

The only difference between it and the more expensive B+Ws is that this one is lacking the MR-C multi-coating. I have a similar one on my 50/1.8. B+W filters are simply the best.

Actually Colin I could really use another 77mm B&W UV Haze filter. I plan on getting the Tokina 11-16 in the future (although I'm not sure how near a future at the moment..just made a rather large purchase). But I would keep it as a backup to my two other 77mm lenses until then...

send me a mailing address.

Just don't yell at me when you realize i said no MRC... [:P]

Honestly, I didn't notice a difference when I installed the MRC versions, but... makes me feel resistant and coated...