Thread: Off Camera Shoe Cord.

Off Camera Shoe Cord.

Ok, I know most of you, if you have one, have gone with the Canon OC-E3 cord and I bet it works great. However, I don't use the off camera cord much since I bough my wireless triggers and don't want to spend the $60 to $70 that it is going to run. I am doing a wedding next month and purchased a camera flip bracket and it came with this P.O.S. cord that doesn't communicate very well from my XSi to my 580exII. I wanted to get a 3rd party cord, but wasn't sure which to look at. Has anyone bought 3rd party cord and had good luck with it? I saw one by Opteka and Adorama when I was looking on Amazon. Or, is the canon the way to go?

Thanks. I appreciate any suggestion you might have.

Jayson

Re: Off Camera Shoe Cord.

I don't actually own one, but I highly suggest flashzebra. They have a 3ft, 16ft, and 24ft cord. All are reasonably priced, and if like everything else I've gotten from him, well made. The customer service is also fantastic. Go to his site and look around at the products he sells. His products are tailor-made for the strobist community.

I have purchased the off camera flash cord from Flashzebra, it's good material, not cheap plastic and what not. communicates fine and works great for me.

before I got the Canon one I got one of ebay from China - yes not usually the best ideas. but it was over half the price and worked perfect when I had it! A friend has it now and hasn't had any problems with it.

Oh sure, now you tell me. I think that 16-footer might be the answer to Pocket Wizard interference issues!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I ended up ordering one from flashzebra. Reading his reviews swayed me. Might be a great place to get any type of cable/cord.

I have a follow up question. If I was to buy a flash cord from Flashzebra would it work with a Photogenic Eclipse 60" Umbrella like the one Brian reviewed? I wouldn't want to buy an umbrella and find out that it would not mount because of the cord...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metakephotos

I have a follow up question. If I was to buy a flash cord from Flashzebra would it work with a Photogenic Eclipse 60" Umbrella like the one Brian reviewed? I wouldn't want to buy an umbrella and find out that it would not mount because of the cord...

thanks
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Well, the cord doesn't really connect to the umbrella. The cord can connect your flash to an umbrella swivel, which in turn can hold an umbrella. As the Canon Off-Camera ETTL cords from flashzebra seems to have a threaded screw and a cold shoe, I'd assume it attaches to most umbrella swivels without any problems. The two umbrella swivels I recommend are the LP634 (very similar to the Bogen swivel Bryan uses) and the LP633. The LP634 doesn't come with a shoe mount, but instead has a stud that would screw directly into the shoe cord. It tensions to any angle using a tensioning lever. The LP633 has an adjustable shoe mount and will hold just about any shoe out there. However, the main swivel has "clicks" in it that only allows you to adjust it to certain angles. Don't get me wrong, there are many angles it can be adjusted to--but it's just not quite as precise as the LP634.

Thanks, I am new to of the camera lighting and from looking at the pick I didn't know if the mount would get in the way of the chord. Thanks for the insight.